LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=8566)

The correct answer choice is (E)

This question asks what combination of transfers could occur on Tuesday. Note that each workpiece is transferred at the beginning of each workday, from the employee who worked on it the previous day to another one of the employees, who will work on it that day. So, if we are asked to identify what transfers could possibly occur on Tuesday, we need to identify a combination of transfers occurring from Monday to Tuesday.

First, let’s apply the rules to the answers just like we would solve a List question: any answer choice that violates a rule will be incorrect. This immediately shows that answer choice (C) is incorrect, because J cannot transfer to M (first rule). Second, use the templates to eliminate the remaining three incorrect answer choices:

Answer choice (A) is incorrect, because it is impossible to simultaneously transfer workpieces from J to K and from K to M. If we did that, then L would have no one to transfer her workpiece to, because L can only transfer to K or M (third rule).

Answer choice (B) is incorrect, because it is impossible to simultaneously transfer workpieces from J to L and from L to M. If we did that, then K would have no one to transfer her workpiece to, because K can only transfer to L or M (second rule).

Answer choice (D) is incorrect, because it is impossible to simultaneously transfer workpieces from K to L and from L to K. If we did that, then J would have no one to transfer her workpiece to, because J can only transfer to L or K (first rule).

Answer choice (E) is the correct answer choice, easily provable by reference to Template 1:

This question asks what combination of transfers could occur on Tuesday. Note that each workpiece is transferred at the beginning of each workday, from the employee who worked on it the previous day to another one of the employees, who will work on it that day. So, if we are asked to identify what transfers could possibly occur on Tuesday, we need to identify a combination of transfers occurring from Monday to Tuesday.

First, let’s apply the rules to the answers just like we would solve a List question: any answer choice that violates a rule will be incorrect. This immediately shows that answer choice (C) is incorrect, because J cannot transfer to M (first rule). Second, use the templates to eliminate the remaining three incorrect answer choices:

Answer choice (A) is incorrect, because it is impossible to simultaneously transfer workpieces from J to K and from K to M. If we did that, then L would have no one to transfer her workpiece to, because L can only transfer to K or M (third rule).

Answer choice (B) is incorrect, because it is impossible to simultaneously transfer workpieces from J to L and from L to M. If we did that, then K would have no one to transfer her workpiece to, because K can only transfer to L or M (second rule).

Answer choice (D) is incorrect, because it is impossible to simultaneously transfer workpieces from K to L and from L to K. If we did that, then J would have no one to transfer her workpiece to, because J can only transfer to L or K (first rule).

Answer choice (E) is the correct answer choice, easily provable by reference to Template 1:
pt72_j14_g4_q23.png
 sarah_student
|
Hi!

I have figured out the diagram for this game. However, I don't understand how to do question 23. Would someone be able to explain how I can figure out the answer? I'm not sure how I can go about plugging in the letters to create hypotheticals and then seeing if those work.

Best,

Sarah
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, Sarah,

Good job sorting out the setup on this pattern game. This question tests whether you have made the preliminary deduction about where items can go during the first reassignment. Basically, you know from the rules that the following reassignments are NOT possible:
  • J to M
    K to J
    L to J
You should note immediately that this means that on Tuesday you MUST have the following reassingnments:

M to J
J to K OR J to L

So what's the way to work through this without just trying everything out? Check out the initial setup

J K/L

K L/M

L K/M

M J
M T

Okay you'll note that J's transfer is very restricted. She's the one who has a rule controlling her reassignment: no M! Also, the transfer to J is very restricted. J has a lot of requirements to meet.

So first up on a Could Be True question you're going to want to go to the less restricted items to begin with. Who are the two least restricted items? K and L

Check out answer choice D.

Well, this doesn't work because they're just switching to each other and at least one of them has to take M.

That only leaves answer choice E. Try it out:

J K

K L

L M

M J
M T

It works! We're in business. I hope this helps.
 sarah_student
|
Jonathan Evans wrote:
It works! We're in business. I hope this helps.

Jonathan, thanks so much for your help! I've got it now!
 Albertlyu
|
HI thanks for sharing this, may i ask if anyone could tell why the following is not acceptable by the rules? :
M T W TH
J K M J
K L K M
L M J L
M J L K

THANKS.
 Albertlyu
|
thanks never mind, I misread the question stem.
 crispycrispr
|
Hi there,

I was quite confused by the question stem and wasn't sure how to interpret it. I thought it was asking about the chain of events that happens to a workpiece (horizontal)... But is that wrong because of the original rule saying that transfer happens at the beginning of each work day? And because it's asking for transfer, and transfer can only happen at the beginning, the question is asking about the four possibilities (vertical)?

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.