LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Pattern Game.

The game scenario establishes that four employees (J, K, L, and M) are transferring workpieces among themselves over a four-day workweek, Monday—Thursday. On any given day, each employee works on exactly one workpiece, and then transfers it to a different employee on the following day. Each piece is worked on for 4 consecutive days (though not necessarily by four different employees). This creates a Pattern game—a variation of the Linear game type—in which the rules are not specific to a single position or variable per se. Instead, they govern the general action of all the variables, and thus create an overarching system that restricts the solution range of the game as a whole.

With that in mind, your initial setup should look like this:
pt72_j14_g4_1.png
This setup will keep track of who works on what piece, and when. Since the four pieces are functionally identical, there is no need to label them as 1, 2, 3, etc. Furthermore, each employee works on exactly one piece per day, which means that each column must contain all four of the variables (J, K, L, and M), with no duplication. Note, however, that the number of times an employee can work on the same piece over the four consecutive days is unknown.

Since work begins on Monday, we can safely assign each employee to one of the four different pieces, as shown below:
pt72_j14_g4_2.png
The game has only three basic rules, banning three different transfer possibilities of workpieces amongst the employees:
  • ..... ..... ..... ..... J ..... :arrow: ..... M

..... ..... ..... ..... K ..... :arrow: ..... J

..... ..... ..... ..... L ..... :arrow: ..... J
In any logic game, prohibitions (what cannot be true) are far less useful than mandates (what must be true). Since there are only four employees in total, and no employee can transfer a workpiece to herself, each of these prohibitions creates the following Dual Options:

• 1. ..... J cannot transfer her workpiece to M, so she needs to transfer it to either K or L;

..... ..... ..... ..... J ..... :arrow: ..... K/L

2. ..... K cannot transfer her workpiece to J, so she needs to transfer it to L or M;

..... ..... ..... ..... K ..... :arrow: ..... L/M

3. ..... L cannot transfer her workpiece to J, so she needs to transfer it to K or M

..... ..... ..... ..... L ..... :arrow: ..... K/M
Regardless of whom these three employees transfer their workpieces to, J receives no workpiece from either K or L. Therefore, J can only receive a transfer from M. And, since all four employees must work each day (including J), it follows that M must always transfer her workpiece to J:
  • ..... ..... ..... ..... M ..... :arrow: ..... J
So, here’s what must occur on Tuesday:
pt72_j14_g4_8.png

Although Tuesday shows some uncertainty with respect to three of the transfers, the uncertainty is limited to Dual Options. Furthermore, each choice of transfer affects another: for instance, if J transfers to K, then L must transfer to M. Consequently, K must transfer to L. Thus, we can begin to draw two templates: one where J transfers to K, and another where J transfers to L:
pt72_j14_g4_9.png

From these two templates, we can see all the transfer possibilities from Monday to Tuesday. We can do the same for the transfers that could occur from Tuesday to Wednesday:
pt72_j14_g4_10.png

Just like before, each of these templates can be split into two (total of 4) in order to show the possible assignments of employees to workpieces on Wednesday. Few test-takers opted to do this, and while it would have helped in a few of the questions, it was unnecessary. After all, once the pattern of transfer sequences has been identified, the questions should be quite doable.

Needless to say, for test takers who have never been exposed to a Pattern game, this was an incredibly confusing situation, and many people reported not being able to even start the game (no diagram, inferences, or insights whatsoever). While detecting the pattern of transfers would have made the questions significantly easier, the game can still be attacked successfully without ever understanding the pattern. The key is to understand the action described in the scenario, and identify strongly with each individual rule. Indeed, if all you did was turn the negative rules into positive statements (infer what must be true from what cannot be true), the game would have been at least somewhat manageable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 angie23
|
Why does M have to transfer the workpiece to J? I understand why it is for Monday to Tuesday but why does it have to be the case for every other days?
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
angie23 wrote:Why does M have to transfer the workpiece to J? I understand why it is for Monday to Tuesday but why does it have to be the case for every other days?
Hello angie23,

Since m is the only one who can transfer to j, j might get no workpiece if m did not transfer to j every day.

Hope this helps,
David
 crottman21
|
I had a really difficult time setting up the 4th game of this exam. Could someone help me with the set up?
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi crottman,

Can you tell us a bit about what was challenging for you, where you got stuck, and how you approached the set up for these two games? That can really help us when trying to explain the games to you.

Thanks!
 crottman21
|
Game 4.
Questions 19-23:
I understand who can't transfer to who, but I don't know what information that provides me with in order to create a setup. I didn't even no where to begin in terms of setup on this game either. What type of game is it and how do you setup for it?
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi crottman,

This is a fairly unusual Pattern game - type that has appeared only a handful of times on an officially administered LSAT. We cover these games in a virtual module as part of our Full Length course, as well as in the chapter "The Forgotten Few" in the Logic Games Bible.

The Pattern game is a variation of the Linear game type, in which the rules are not specific to a single position or variable per se. Instead, they govern the general action of all the variables, and thus create an overarching system that restricts the solution range of the game as a whole. Here, four employees (J, K, L, and M) are transferring workpieces among themselves over a four-day workweek, Monday – Thursday. On any given day, each employee works on exactly one workpiece, and then transfers it to a different employee on the following day. Each piece is worked on for 4 consecutive days (though not necessarily by four different employees).

With that in mind, your initial setup should look like this:

Piece: ____ ____ ____ ____

• Mon Tue Wed Thu
This setup will keep track of who works on what piece, and when. Since the four pieces are functionally identical, there is no need to label them as 1, 2, 3, etc. Furthermore, each employee works on exactly one piece per day, which means that each column must contain all four of the variables (J, K, L, and M), with no duplication. Note, however, that the number of times an employee can work on the same piece over the four consecutive days is unknown.

Since work begins on Monday, we can safely assign each employee to one of the four different pieces, as shown below:

J
____ ____ ____ ____
K
____ ____ ____ ____
L
____ ____ ____ ____
M
____ ____ ____ ____
Mon Tue Wed Thu

The game has only three basic rules, banning three different transfer possibilities of workpieces amongst the employees. In any logic game, prohibitions (what cannot be true) are far less useful than mandates (what must be true). Since there are only four employees in total, and no employee can transfer a workpiece to herself, each of these prohibitions creates the following Dual Options:

J :arrow: K/L
K :arrow: L/M
L :arrow: K/M

Regardless of whom these three employees transfer their workpieces to, J receives no workpiece from either K or L. Therefore, J can only receive a transfer from M. And, since all four employees must work each day (including J), it follows that M must always transfer her workpiece to J:

M :arrow: J

Now, do you see what must occur on Tuesday? There will be some uncertainty with respect to three of the transfers, but the uncertainty is limited to Dual Options. I would draw out two templates (one where J transfers to K, and another where J transfers to L) and then proceed to the questions.

While detecting the pattern of transfers would have made the questions significantly easier, the game can still be attacked successfully without ever understanding the pattern. The key is to understand the action described in the scenario, and identify strongly with each individual rule. Indeed, if all you did was turn the negative rules into positive statements (infer what must be true from what cannot be true), the game would have been at least somewhat manageable.

Let me know if this helps!

Thanks!
 mpoulson
|
Hello,

I read the explanation, but I am still having some trouble following the logic of this game. Where does the game say that everyone must work during the week? Why couldn't M trade to L then to K and then back to M? Wouldn't that satisfy the trades without breaking any of the rules?

V/r,

Micah
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Micah,

Thanks for your question.

The scenario clearly states that "every Monday, work begins on four raw workpieces, each of which is worked on for four consecutive days." Also, on any given day, an employee works on exactly once piece. However, as explained above, your hypothetical solution is actually quite possible: the number of times an employee can work on a given workpiece over the four consecutive days is unknown. It's possible that the same person work on a given piece more than once.

Hope this helps!
 jmramon
|
Hi!,

I'm also having a lot of trouble with this pattern game. I've been working on it for 2 hours and still don't understand how we figure out this game without trying (and failing) at a million hypothetical solutions with 16 moving parts. I understand everything Powerscore has stated up to this point (the inferences we can draw from the restrictions), but I don't get how we are supposed to know how to set up the game. For instance, Powerscore decided to place J, K, L, M in order on Monday to start off the game, but what if you choose a different order as mpoulson did? I saw Nikki say this could work also, but how do you find some kind of method to the madness of this game if you could have a bizillion hypothetical solutions and starters to those solutions? I realize the other games have a ton of possibilities too, but this game is really tricky and different from the others for some reason. Also, does M have to transfer to J all the time, or only when J needs to be selected. I know L and K cannot transfer to J, leaving M as the only option, but what if J is left out on working on a certain piece? Please help! Thank you!

-Jenny

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.