LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 Canada101
|
Hi! I'm having a hard time understanding the double arrow when it comes to conditional reasoning. How is it that something can be both a sufficient and necessary condition? I'm in the online class but am still struggling to grasp this concept. I know this type of relationship is rare in conditional reasoning, but do you know if a double arrow question shows up commonly/frequently on the LSAT? In other words, how concerned should I be if this type of relationship is not my strong suit?

I appreciate your time and effort taken to answer my question.

Thank you!
 srusty
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Canada101 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:56 pm Hi! I'm having a hard time understanding the double arrow when it comes to conditional reasoning. How is it that something can be both a sufficient and necessary condition? I'm in the online class but am still struggling to grasp this concept. I know this type of relationship is rare in conditional reasoning, but do you know if a double arrow question shows up commonly/frequently on the LSAT? In other words, how concerned should I be if this type of relationship is not my strong suit?

I appreciate your time and effort taken to answer my question.

Thank you!
Hi there! I understand that conditional reasoning, especially with double arrows, can be a challenging concept. The double arrow signifies a biconditional relationship, where the presence of one condition guarantees the presence of the other and vice versa. In other words, they are both sufficient and necessary for each other.

To clarify, if A is a sufficient condition for B, it means that whenever A occurs, B must also occur. At the same time, if B is a sufficient condition for A, it means that whenever B occurs, A must also occur. This dual relationship makes them interdependent.

Concerning your question about the LSAT, biconditional relationships are not uncommon in logical reasoning questions. While they might not be the most frequent type of relationship, it's good to be comfortable with them because they do appear periodically. Don't be overly concerned if it's not your strong suit initially; with practice and a deeper understanding of the concept, you can improve your proficiency in dealing with biconditional relationships.

Also, an example that may help wrap your mind around it (this is what helped me!):

1. If a shape is a square, then all four sides are equal.
2. If all four sides of a shape are equal, then it's a square.

Square <---> four equal sides

Hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.