LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
User avatar
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: May 06, 2021

I know this cycle has been ridiculously competitive, so I am thankful (and a little surprised with the outcomes I got). I am a super-splitter with a 3.2/175. I ended up getting into UT Austin, BU, and ASU and was waitlisted at UVA and Columbia (withdrawn). I am interested in doing BigLaw and UVA is (was) my top choice. But, because I had no idea how anything worked, I didn't send a GPA addendum (though I have reasonable explanation for it being low), didn't send a Why X? essay until a month after I applied, and I applied in late January. I think my softs are pretty good and my personal statement must have been solid to get me into UT with my stats. I ended up depositing at BU over UT, because I know I want to work in the Northeast and not Texas and BU offered a half tuition scholarship. I recently however, got offered a teaching position at an inner city school in France for the next year and am wondering whether I should defer BU for the security of it or try to reapply in the fall with hopes of getting into UVA. Obviously my stats will be pretty similar, but I would have the opportunity to better explain my undergrad GPA and why UVA is my top choice, as well as applying in October would probably be helpful. I also am considering maybe doing ED for UVA to boost my chances as a super splitter.
User avatar
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
  • Posts: 4601
  • Joined: Mar 25, 2011
Hi Isabellejo,

It's impossible to know which is the right direction here in terms of your goals, but at least each option is attractive to you. So, in one sense, there likely isn't a "bad" choice here. Since I can't really advise you on which is better for you, the best I can do here is give you a sense of how next cycle will work.

This has been the worst law school admission cycle in modern times, and students with very high numbers have found themselves in some very difficult situations (so congrats to you, you've done well!). Next year won't likely be as bad as this year, but right now it's trending toward worse and worse as applicants who are unhappy with their results this cycle opt-out and will reapply next year. This means next year is not going to be easy either.

Would the extra year in France(which is awesome imho), earlier app/ED, and extra essays be enough to get you off the waitlist? Possibly, but I will say there is no guarantee at all that it will. It's uncertain, and there is no way to know what will happen without trying it. so that leaves you in the classic position of either locking in with BU next year or tossing it all away to make another run. And no one but you can determine if the risk is worth it here :/ If you do take another shot, I'd look to add some schools that perhaps you didn't apply to here to have as backups, because ASU, BU, and Texas likely won't accept you again after being spurned.

I hope that helps. Merci et bonne chance!
User avatar
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: Jun 18, 2021
First of all, you aren't a super splitter, you're just a regular old splitter. Hopefully that makes you feel at least a little better. As has already been said, this is a very tough cycle. In fact, it is quite possibly the toughest cycle, and the only thing that comes close (or so I have heard) is 08/09. This is probably (With your numbers, almost certainly) your low water mark. Depending upon your goals, that low water mark is a pretty incredible one, money at UT or BU is nothing to scoff at, but in a more typical cycle, you'd probably be looking at money in the lower T-14, and close to a 50/50 shot at admission at UVA, assuming the rest of your application is solid. The first question here should be what your goals are, and the second should be how late you are willing to matriculate.

As mentioned above, this coming cycle will likely be difficult as well, as many students are in the same boat as you, and these two cycles are particularly rough for splitters, because the LSAT-Flex has created more scores at the top. If you are going to reapply, what will you do if you find yourself in the same position as this year? Are you willing to wait another year? If so, I'd suggest waiting. If not, and if BU/UT is sufficient for your goals, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to go to law school, you do want to be a lawyer after all. But waiting, and especially applying earlier in the coming cycle(s), is very likely to net you more admissions and a better chance at money. The further we get from the LSAT-Flex bubble (Assuming scores trend toward the historical mean) the better your chances get.

Conventional wisdom says that splitters should apply as early as possible, so if you are going to reapply next cycle, or even the following cycle, do so as soon as applications open, and do so widely. Scatter apps from Harvard on down and see what sticks. Omit some of the more GPA conscious schools if you can't get fee waivers. Whatever your decision, good luck!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.