LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 deseraymatteson@gmail.com
|
For UT Law there is an optional statement* that could be an opportunity to expand upon my professional experience as an industry advocate working closely with state agencies and the legislature (full-time work while also being a single parent). My questions are:

1. Is this an appropriate topic for this optional statement?
2. If not, should I consider writing about being a first gen college graduate (as the daughter of a single mother)? Specifically that I worked full-time to help support my family while also going to school full time.
3. I assume the admissions committee will already understand that I am applying as a URM. If that's accurate, is it recommended that I expand upon that in my personal statement and/or optional essays?

Alternatively: If the personal background statement is appropriate to focus on my professional experience, should I consider my suggestion in question 2 above as a topic for an undergraduate performance statement**? The reason for consideration is my GPA is significantly lower than the average GPA cited on their 509 report.

*Statement of Economic, Social, and/or Personal Background: Texas Law is interested in specifically learning about an applicant’s economic, social, and/or personal background that may not be apparent in the rest of the application or shared in the applicant’s personal statement. The committee recognizes that ordinary predictive measures for academic success might be of less value if prior performance has been partly the result of other contributing factors. An applicant may choose to describe the challenges as a first-generation college graduate; an applicant's struggle with a serious physical or mental disability; an applicant's encounter with discrimination based on race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, and/or national origin; or an applicant's limited educational opportunities due to geographical or other restrictions; or whatever the applicant believes is appropriate and relevant. The committee believes factors such as these may contribute to an applicant's academic potential and how they will enhance the richness and diversity of the learning environment.

**Undergraduate Performance: If your academic performance for one or more academic terms was markedly different from that of others, please explain. Please make any other comments about your college transcript(s) or your preparation for college that you believe will help the Admissions Committee in evaluating your application.
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Deseray!

I think you should definitely address the lower GPA in the Undergraduate Performance essay. This essay doesn't need to be long and overly stylized and can be treated like an addendum. It should be a concise explanation of your lower GPA that doesn't seem like a list of excuses. (Check out this blog post for more tips on how to write it: https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/whats- ... h-addenda/). Emphasize that you are a first generation college graduate.

The other optional essay is essentially a diversity statement. If you have not already addressed these experiences in your personal statement, you can address them here. I think you could probably work both the fact that you are a first gen college graduate daughter of a single mom and a full-time working single mom into this essay as there seem to be some parallels. It's okay if you mention that you are a first gen college graduate in both essays as long as you are not simply repeating yourself. These essays have different goals. In the Undergraduate Performance essay, you are offering a straightforward explanation of a lower GPA. In the Personal Background essay, you are explaining how your diverse background contributes to your academic potential and can enrich the learning community. The important thing here is to make sure that your Personal Background essay is just as strong as your personal statement without repeating your personal statement.

Check out this blog post for information and advice on supplemental essays: https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/supple ... yes-or-no/

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Best,
Kelsey
 deseraymatteson@gmail.com
|
Extremely helpful response and resource references! I'll definitely put all of these together before I submit for the Application Evaluation and Critique.

I can't say enough great things about the PowerScore materials, staff and organization overall.

Keep up the great work!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.