LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 Gbopa2022
|
Hi Powerscore,

The most recent LSAT score I have is from November, and I got a lower score than I would my on my PTs. Normally I was scoring in the mid-upper 150s. But when I took the real thing, I scored in the upper 140s. I don't think my problem is really with understanding the material, although I could make some improvements. When I took that test, I felt like I couldn't apply what I had learned from the lessons I went through on Powerscore, because I felt stressed and couldn't go through questions like I normally do during PTs, drills, and individual sections when I was studying. I took January too, and before taking the test, I was doing really well on my PTs, and individual sections, for example on some LR and LG sections I was getting around -4. I really honed in on my weaknesses, which were assumptions, flaws, and the RC section, but I still felt like I couldn't break through that stress and I feel like this January went the same as the Novemeber one.I know I can score in the upper 150s, and maybe even break through to the 160s, but I would like to have a gameplan for breaking through this sort of thing on the real thing. Is there any advice on being able to push through this sort of thing?

Thanks!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Gbopa,

That sounds frustrating for sure! The first thing I would look at is what was different in your PTs v the actual test. Were you strictly timing yourself? Were you in a similar location and a similar time of day to your actual tests? Did the real tests feel different somehow?

When you say "I couldn't go through questions" was it only the nerves? Was there a different way you usually went through questions in PTs that you were afraid to do on the test? Overall, whenever I hear "nerves," I think about mindset. Everyone gets nervous at times. Everyone. We have a really great roundup of resources on mindset here. In particular, I really like the one on NASA-style anxiety control. Probably because I'm a bit of a space nerd myself, but I like to think it's because it's a helpful post.

One thing I've noticed in folks who see that wide of a score variance is that sometimes they take difficulties in one question through the test. They find one hard or tricky problem, and they carry that frustration through the section or test. That always seems silly to me because each question is worth the same one point. See each question as an opportunity, not as a barrier. Leave the questions where you struggle behind, where they belong. It also will make you a more limber test taker. You shouldn't spend time on questions that you aren't going to get right anyway. Move along.

If the inconsistent performance is more than nerves though, if it's partially due to understanding and performance issues, I'd recommend thinking about doing some testing and analytics. It might help you find patterns to missed questions that could help you out.

Keep at it!
 Gbopa2022
|
Thank you so much for the advice! Apologies for the late response.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.