LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (C).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 ange.li6778
|
Hi powerscore, I chose B for this question because it seemed the passage drew the conclusion (interactions between antithetical disciplines can lead to important results) from the examples where cytology and biochemistry, though opposed to the other, led to the synthesis of molecular biology. I'm not sure what the proposition in C would be; perhaps the claims made in the first paragraph about thesis and antithesis disciplines? Even then, why is B wrong?

These questions about passage structure and organization are so hit or miss for me. How should I be approaching these? Thank you!!
 katehos
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ange.li6778!

The proof for answer choice (C) can be found throughout the entire passage of course, as this is a Global Organization question, but a few main lines in the beginning of the passage provide strong evidence on their own.

In the beginning of the passage, we are introduced to the idea of scientific disciplines relating to one another as "an antithesis to its thesis" (lines 2-3). Then, in the second paragraph, the author writes that "the relationship of cytology (cell biology) to biochemistry.... exemplifies such a pattern." (lines 14-17). This organization is paralleled perfectly by the organization described in (C), in which a proposition (the relation of disciplines to one another) is stated, and then an example (cytology/biochemistry) is given!

Answer choice (B), while tempting, isn't quite correct. The example of cell biology and biochemistry is not being used to prove that the interaction between disciplines can have important results, rather, the author asserts the additional claim at the end regarding the results and then uses biology and biochemistry as an example (lines 55-64). Basically, the author isn't concluding anything because of biochemistry and cell biology, instead, they're using biochemistry and cell biology to exemplify the statements they make! It also may be useful to consider how there is not a "set of examples" being provided in the passage, as only one example is discussed. This is further reason to eliminate (B)!

In general, when you're approaching these questions you should already be equipped with your VIEWSTAMP analysis -- rely on it! Throughout your initial reading of the passage, make sure you're actively considering the underlying logical structure and the order in which it is presented. Make sure to remember that you should hold the structure in your mind (as opposed to writing it down) throughout the passage and afterwards.

If you're continuing to struggle, it may be useful to liken these questions to Method of Argument questions on the Logical Reasoning section. In these questions, you're identifying the abstract relationship between the components of the stimulus in a very similar way to identifying the structure and organization of a passage! Keep it up -- the more you practice and familiarize yourself with the structure of Reading Comprehension passages, the easier these questions will become!

I hope this helps :)
Kate

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.