LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

srcline@noctrl.edu
|
Hello,

So this is a Resolve question correct? So when I was reviewing my test I tried to see why some of the AC were wrong, here is my thought process.

SO A and C are out b/c they're irrelevant.

(B): wrong b/c its an opposite answer and misstates the facts. the stimulus tells us that birds are killed and a greater distance would make it harder for the birds to slam into windowpanes.

(D): is wrong because it only explains half of the discrepancy. It explains why they are started b/c of the loud noises which would explain why they fly away, but doesn't explain why they slam into windowpanes and are killed. If they are started by loud noises they could fly away to another place or feed at another sub garden.

(E) is correct b/c it would explain why birds who started fly away and get killed by windowpanes by nearby houses, b/c the windowpanes could reflect the vegetation and the birds could mistake it for actual vegetation. B/c of its bird brain and get killed.

Is my reasoning correct here. I missed a couple of resolve questions in the previous section, and I'm trying to apply the correct methods when going over my tests.
THankyou
Sarah
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
srcline@noctrl.edu wrote:Hello,

So this is a Resolve question correct? So when I was reviewing my test I tried to see why some of the AC were wrong, here is my thought process.

SO A and C are out b/c they're irrelevant.

(B): wrong b/c its an opposite answer and misstates the facts. the stimulus tells us that birds are killed and a greater distance would make it harder for the birds to slam into windowpanes.

(D): is wrong because it only explains half of the discrepancy. It explains why they are started b/c of the loud noises which would explain why they fly away, but doesn't explain why they slam into windowpanes and are killed. If they are started by loud noises they could fly away to another place or feed at another sub garden.

(E) is correct b/c it would explain why birds who started fly away and get killed by windowpanes by nearby houses, b/c the windowpanes could reflect the vegetation and the birds could mistake it for actual vegetation. B/c of its bird brain and get killed.

Is my reasoning correct here. I missed a couple of resolve questions in the previous section, and I'm trying to apply the correct methods when going over my tests.
THankyou
Sarah

Hello,

Yes, it's a resolve.
The reasoning seems reasonably correct. (Though with D, the loud noises do not help to explain anything much, since the vegetation is more of an issue than exactly what the predators do.)

David
 bonnie_a
|
I initially chose D because I thought maybe these birds respond unusually because they've been startled by something else, not their potential predators. For instance, when they are startled by loud noises or thunderstorms, they typically fly into the windowpanes for some reason? Since the stimulus only deals with their being startled by predators and so we don't know what these birds at the feeders were startled by, I thought I could explain this with the answer choice D.
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Bonnie,

There are two reasons why that will not work. As you say, if they are startled for a different reason, then maybe they fly into windowpanes "for some reason". The problem there is...why? It seems like a random event. So we'd be replacing one mystery with another - now we need to explain why they fly into windowpanes when startled from a different cause, and neither the stimulus nor answer choice (D) gives an explanation of that.

There's a better way to get rid of answer choice (D), though. The stimulus says "thus startled". What does "thus" mean in this context? Well, let's go to the dictionary: "in the manner now being indicated or exemplified; in this way." "Thus startled" must mean "startled in the way already discussed," which means we have to be talking about birds startled by predators. Birds startled for other reasons simply won't be relevant to resolving this paradox, which is about birds specifically startled by predators.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.