LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 QueensULawHopefully
|
I seriously am struggling with weaken questions, I have tried everything from the power score bible and I still get the questions wrong ): (unless if they're very easy weaken questions). I seriously struggling because I've managed to improve all aspects of my LR except weaken questions... Can someone please give me some advice?
 QueensULawHopefully
|
(I get the first ten correct, and I normally butcher the weaken questions in the teens/twenties :/ )
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
QueensULawHopefully wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:29 am I seriously am struggling with weaken questions, I have tried everything from the power score bible and I still get the questions wrong ): (unless if they're very easy weaken questions). I seriously struggling because I've managed to improve all aspects of my LR except weaken questions... Can someone please give me some advice?
Hi Queens!

I'll have an instructor respond with some more advice, but here are some posts to get you started:

Podcast Episode 85: Causal Reasoning Part II – Causality and Question Types 24:22 – Weaken Questions
How NOT to Weaken Logical Reasoning Arguments
Common LSAT Question Types: Must Be True vs. Weaken
Weakening Concepts and Truth vs. Validity

Thanks!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
QueensU,

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling! If you're doing well on Strengthen and Assumption questions, then think about what you're doing right to do those questions well - identifying conclusions, locating gaps in the argument, and helping to close those gaps. For Assumption questions with Defender assumptions, you're negating weaknesses. For Flaw in the Reasoning questions, you're also identifying problems with arguments. All of these aspects of approaches to the stimulus are doing a lot of the work that also applies to Weaken questions, so think "I can tell what's wrong with an argument and how to make it better. So when I identify a problem with an argument and want to make it worse instead, what little adjustments do I need to make?" That will take your strength with the other question types and help use it in your favor in the Weaken context.

Further, if you're getting more difficult Weaken questions incorrect, but not the less difficult ones, it might be less of a Weaken-specific problem and more of a difficult-question problem. It might be beneficial to work on tough problems of all types.

Finally, if the Weaken questions with which you have trouble involve things like causal reasoning, it's worth practicing the ways to weaken causal arguments discussed in the Bibles.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.