LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 toddburtron@gmail.com
|
I've been head down in the PowerScore Trilogy (with workbooks) everyday since early May of 2021, I'm also an On Demand PowerScore student. I spend hours each day trying to master LGs, and while I feel as though I've gained ground on basic linear games I still feel like I am spinning my wheels. I read the material, watch the videos and feel like I grasp the concepts, but the moment I attempt to solve an Advanced Game I feel my brain seems to blank out and its as if I've never studied prior. I'm trying to fight the notion of struggle and defeat but with the August test fast approaching I am deeply concerned whether I'll be ready.

Any tips?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Todd,

Thanks for the message! The feeling you have is not abnormal at all! The LSAT is such a weird test because you don't learn it linearly, meaning one hour of study doesn't automatically translate into a higher score. That makes it frustrating. So, the first step is to take a day or two off, get a breather, and mentally regroup.

Second, I wonder if what's happening to you with LG is a byproduct of the clock being on. You mention that it all seems clear when you are watching, but it blanks out when you start. Have you tried turning the clock off and going slowly through a few games to see if that makes a difference? I'm thinking it might, and not only the lessened concern about the clock but even the slower pace might allow you to keep focused. I'd try that first because it will help assess what is happening to you when you start a game, and that's the first step we need to take here! If it is that clock, that's ok--then we'll know and we'll be in a much better position to start fixing that :-D

Thanks!
 toddburtron@gmail.com
|
Thank you! I will try to take a day or two off to clear my head. I feel a sense of "addiction" to trying to master this. I heap a ton of expectation(s) upon myself. And yes, I feel like the clock/timer is always "standing" over my shoulder tapping me on the back of the head. Even when I do try to ignore the clock/timer I can feel like I'm breaking some LSAT "code."

Thanks so much Dave!

PS: I'm a regular listener to the Podcast, so maybe I'm on prep overload. :-D
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Great, glad that helped! Keep in mind that sometimes you have to break the rules in order to master the process. Here, I think pushing the importance of the clock downward would do a lot more good than harm, and then once you gain control of what' happening, then you can slowly re-introduce the clock. I think it will work well :-D

Cheers and see you in a day or two!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.