LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 reop6780
|
I got this one right since answer D is obviously wrong.

However, I was not sure of "generalization" and "explication of terms."

The explanation points out "generalization" occurs thorough out the passage.

I do not know what "generalization" is made or what it is in reading comprehension.

Lastly, I'm confused of "explication of terms" in regard with what it is as well.

The answer key cites lines 18-19 but I assume it's 35-37.

Still, I expected "explication of terms" to be more specific explanation of certain terms.

Lines of 35-37 describes an example, and I do not understand what terms are clarified here.
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
reop6780 wrote:I got this one right since answer D is obviously wrong.

However, I was not sure of "generalization" and "explication of terms."

The explanation points out "generalization" occurs thorough out the passage.

I do not know what "generalization" is made or what it is in reading comprehension.

Also, this term, "generalization" appears in question stem such as Q26 and Q25 in the next passage (#7, pg 81).

Is it sth implied generally by an author?

Lastly, I'm confused of "explication of terms" in regard with what it is as well.

The answer key cites lines 18-19 but I assume it's 35-37.

Still, I expected "explication of terms" to be more specific explanation of certain terms.

Lines of 35-37 describes an example, and I do not understand what terms are clarified here.
Hello reop6780,

Some generalization occurs when the author talks about America and England and makes generalizations about their somewhat contrasting legal styles. One dictionary definition of "generalization" is "a general statement or concept obtained by inference from specific cases".

Explication may be going on re the various types of law mentioned, e.g., constitutions, statutes, etc., around line 18 or so. "Explication" means about the same as "explanation".
Around lines 35-37, the example given is of how a document (like a will) may fail when a formality is not observed, so that the substantive purpose of the will doesn't get carried out.

Hope this helps, and happy holidays,
David
 Kelly R
|
Hi PS,

Could "explication of terms" also be taken to refer to the author's explanation of substantive and formal reasons at the beginning of paragraphs 2 and 3, respectively? I eliminated C on these grounds and just want to be sure that my reasoning checks out. Thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I interpret "explication" to mean an explanation that goes into at least some detail, rather than in merely general terms, Kelly, and I think you are right that the author provides some detail about what constitutes Substantive law and substantive reasons. I think that also qualifies as explication of those terms. Good work!
 luckiesailor
|
Hi. I originally chose A on this one because it seemed like one big contrast between how different the two legal systems are. Even in the first line it says, "superficially similar". Where else in the passage was there the comparison to eliminate that AC?

Thanks so much!
 Ryan Twomey
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Luckiesailor,

I believe you may have misread the question stem. This is an "except" question. So we were looking for the item that was not present in the passage. You are correct that the whole passage was a comparison, but this is an except question, thus making the answer choice wrong.

Continue to read the question stem more closely, especially in reading comprehension, and I wish you all of the luck in your studies.

Best,
Ryan

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.