LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 oychoi
|
Hi Powerscore Team,

I am currently in the midst of preparing for the January LSAT and working on my law school apps. At the present moment, I hold a 3.52 GPA per CAS and a 162 LSAT. My dream schools are UCLA and USC, which admittedly are super-reach schools for me because my GPA and LSAT score fall below their median. I am not a URM but I do have 4 years of work experience as a CPA so in that I have a slightly different background and skillset to present.

In preparing for the January LSAT, my last 3 PT scores have been the following: 166, 166, and 166. Yes, it has been that consistent. Barring no catastrophic experience, I am hopeful that I will score in that range and definitely higher than my 162.

However, it is still far short of the LSAT median for UCLA/USC and other schools in that range. I have done an honest assessment of myself and can confidently say I have done everything I could on my end to raise my PT scores to where they are. I started at a 144 and have been able to raise it to where it is, but still short of that elusive 170 that could possibly open the gates. I do not know anymore what I can honestly do at this point other than to review a bit more and making sure I get my mental game relaxed and ready for test day.

Despite the possibility I may not even hit the median scores of such reach schools, is it worth taking a shot and applying? A lot of talk on forums and the Internet makes it clear that your LSAT and GPA are the single most important factors in determining where you get into law school. It's a frustrating experience that a single score could hold that much weight but I understand that is the current reality.

Money is not an issue for me in terms of applying so I am considering trying. Have there been stories of such acceptances that defy the numbers? I will try my best with the LSAT until the end but it would be encouraging to know if there have been admission miracles before.

Thank you.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Oychoi,

Sorry I missed seeing this earlier! In a typical year, you'd have a borderline shot at USC, and less of a shot at UCLA. This year it's still hard to tell since results are coming so slowly, but I'd probably put an app at USC just to see if you hit a 166.

As reassurance, there are many stories of success when below the numbers! All it takes is for one person on the adcomm to take a liking to you and then champion you through the process. That means you have to connect with them via your essays and stories! so, make those essays amazing if you can :)

Thanks!
 oychoi
|
Dave Killoran wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:54 pm Hi Oychoi,

Sorry I missed seeing this earlier! In a typical year, you'd have a borderline shot at USC, and less of a shot at UCLA. This year it's still hard to tell since results are coming so slowly, but I'd probably put an app at USC just to see if you hit a 166.

As reassurance, there are many stories of success when below the numbers! All it takes is for one person on the adcomm to take a liking to you and then champion you through the process. That means you have to connect with them via your essays and stories! so, make those essays amazing if you can :)

Thanks!
Hi Dave! Thank you for replying! I appreciate your thoughts and encouragement! I did just that and took a shot at UCLA and USC because you never know what could happen :)

I also got exactly a 166 on the January LSAT based on the score release and thank you to you and your team for all your help in achieving it!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.