LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Must Be True—FL. The correct answer choice is (A)

The preservationist provides the guidelines for determining which of the library’s collection of
medieval manuscripts will be restored to protect against their continual physical deterioration. The
library will restore those manuscripts that are of “widely acknowledged cultural significance” that
are frequently consulted by researchers, but only if the safety of the manuscripts can be guaranteed
during the restoration process. The preservationist also concedes that this policy means that “some
medieval manuscripts whose authenticity is suspect will be restored.”

This is a Must Be True question. Our prephrase is that we can infer from the preservationist’s
concession that it must be the case that some manuscripts whose authenticity is suspect are of widely
acknowledged cultural significance, are frequently consulted by researchers, and can be kept safe
during the restoration process.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice, and comports with our prephrase as
discussed above. Do not worry that the answer choice does not reference the cultural significance
of the manuscripts or the fact that they can be kept safe during the restoration process. In a Must Be
True question the correct answer choice does not have to provide all of the things that must be true
based on the stimulus, so long as what is included must be true.

Answer choice (B): This answer choice is incorrect because the preservationist did not say that they
would restore all of the medieval manuscripts widely acknowledged to be of cultural significance.
Rather, the stimulus told us that all of those to be restored would be of such significance.

Answer choice (C): As with answer choice (B), all we can say is that all of the manuscripts to be
restored are those whose safety can be ensured during the restoration process.

Answer choice (D): The stimulus did not provide any basis for determining which of the manuscripts
is more susceptible to deterioration. This is a somewhat tempting answer choice because it makes
real-world sense that manuscripts that are frequently consulted by researchers would be at a
heightened risk of deterioration.

Answer choice (E): We cannot say that it must be true that not a single medieval manuscript is both
rarely consulted by researchers and widely acknowledged to be of cultural significance. For example,
there may be a manuscript that is so significant that it has been thoroughly examined in the past and
therefore is no longer directly consulted by researchers.
 lhd33
|
Hi,

For this question, I don't see how A is the correct answer. Maybe I'm not diagramming it correctly?

Here is my diagram:

widely acknowledged/culturally sig :most: restored :arrow: safety ensured / frequently consulted

authority suspect :some: restored :arrow: safety ensured / frequently consulted

Thank you!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
lhd,

Your diagram looks great! Note that the second chain there implies that there are some things the authenticity of which is suspect and which will still be restored, while anything restored is frequently consulted. Thus, some suspect things are frequently consulted.

Robert Carroll
 LustingFor!L
|
Can you go sentence by sentence in the stimulus and diagram this?

-Widely acknowledges culturally significant :most: restored

-How do you diagram "this means that some medieval manuscripts whose authenticity is suspect will be restored"?

- NOT restored :arrow: Manuscripts whose safety can be ensured during the restoration process will be restored (used unless equation)

-How do you diagram "manuscripts that are not frequently consulted by researches will not be restored"?

Thank you for your help. I got this question correct, but I focused on B and C using "all", D isn't supported by stimulus, and E used "none".
 Kristina Moen
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LustingFor!L,

Yes, your first diagram is correct:
medieval manuscripts that are of widely acknowledged cultural significance :most: restored

"This means that some medieval manuscripts whose authenticity is suspect will be restored" can be diagrammed as:
medieval manuscripts whose authenticity is suspect :some: restored

However, you do not use the "unless" equation for this sentence - "only manuscripts whose safety can be ensured during the restoration process will be restored." The word "only" is a Necessary Condition Indicator. Thus, this would be diagrammed as:
Restored :arrow: manuscripts whose safety can be ensured during the restoration process

"Manuscripts that are not frequently consulted by researchers will not be restored" can be diagrammed as:
Manuscripts that are not frequently consulted by researchers :arrow: not restored
The contrapositive is:
restored :arrow: manuscript is frequently consulted by researchers

To put it all together:
Medieval manuscripts that are of widely acknowledged cultural significance :most: restored
Medieval manuscripts whose authenticity is suspect :some: restored
Restored :arrow: manuscripts whose safety can be ensured during the restoration process
Restored :arrow: manuscript is frequently consulted by researchers

Answer Choice (A) can be inferred because there are some medieval manuscript whose authenticity is suspect that are restored. And ALL manuscripts that are restored are frequently consulted by researchers. Thus, "Some of the medieval manuscripts whose authenticity is suspect are frequently consulted by researchers."

Hope this helps.
 mankariousc
|
lhd33 wrote:
widely acknowledged/culturally sig :most: restored :arrow: safety ensured / frequently consulted

authority suspect :some: restored :arrow: safety ensured / frequently consulted
Hi! Could you explain why "some" has a double arrow and why "most" has a single arrow?

Thanks!
 Kristina Moen
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Mankariousc,

Yes. Good catch that there's a difference.

If I say "Most bananas are yellow," it's a one-way relationship. If I take all the bananas in the world, most of them will be yellow. If I take all the yellow fruit in the world, I can't infer that most will be bananas. There could be a lot of lemons in the mix! So the arrow only goes one way. Bananas :most: Yellow.

However, the word "some" is a two-way relationship. If I say "Some bananas are yellow," that means there's at least one yellow banana out in the world. Which means there's at least one yellow fruit that it is a banana. And there's at least one banana that is a yellow fruit. So it goes both ways. I write that as Banana :some: Yellow. Note that it really isn't saying a whole lot. It's a lot easier to prove that statement than the first one.

But the distinction is important. Just like a conditional relationship, you can't go backwards. You have to follow the arrow!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.