LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (C).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 andriana.caban
|
Hi!

I kind of got boggled down with this question. I knew (E) was incorrect, yet, I still chose it! I narrowed it down to the correct answer (C) and (E).

I didn't think (C) captured the main point of the passage, especially since the author discusses "objectivism" in the first paragraph. The scholars are responding to the current Western legal system and how it does not capture the whole story, but that legal narratives (personal narratives) may convince legal insiders to listen to the stories of people who are not trained in legal discourse.

I thought the MP would be something relating to objectivism, possibly it's harm to society (as mentioned in the second paragraph).

In all honesty, I HATED (E). Especially since "some legal scholars" DID NOT ARGUE about the flaw. The author argued about the "serious flaw in objectivism" (line 19). Since the author argues this, I thought it has to be the Main Point of the passage.

Can anyone tell me why (C) is correct and is the MP of the passage?
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Andriana!

I'm a little unclear as to why you didn't like answer choice (C) here, since it appears to match your prephrase. Answer choice (C) states "Some legal scholars have proposed alleviating the harm caused by the prominence of objectivist principles within legal discourse by replacing that discourse with alternative forms of legal narrative." That seems to incorporate the harm caused by the objectivism that you said you were looking for in the correct answer! The author starts off by describing the problems with objectivism in the first paragraph and then the alternative narrative solution that some legal scholars are advocating for. That's the main point of the passage and that's what answer choice (C) describes.

The problem with answer choice (E) is that the legal scholars have argued that the basic flaw in objectivist theory can be remedied by using alternative forms of legal narrative, not by "recognizing that it is not possible to obtain a single neutral description of a particular event." That phrase describes the problem with objectivism described in the first paragraph, not the solution posed by the legal scholars in the third paragraph.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.