LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 PresidentLSAT
|
Hi,

I need help with this paragraph. The crux of it what she was reacting against (the us not minding our business) and the line reference introduces how she did it which is elaborated in the following paragraph.

How do you approach such a question like this? I couldn't think of anything any had to go to my answers.

I thought A, because by using art, it was a more glamourized form of messaging, hence dreamy and escapist. Maybe my magazine background misled me here but ideally, that's what it read to me.

On the other hand, I'm not seeing idealistic and nostalgia. What does idealistic mean? What about Indigenistas? Aztecs?

The only thing I can deduce (barely) from it as support for B is the "reverence for Aztecs pre-Columbian society" and I don't even know what that itself is saying.

Reviewing is one thing but ensuring I don't repeat the same mistake pattern is what concerns me.

Thanks in advance.
 Ryan Twomey
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey presidentlsat,

So with this type of question, it is always helpful to have some understanding of what the word means. Romantic can refer to an actual love romance,or the word can refer to somethingimaginary, or the word can mean having emotional appeal, especially idealized emotional appeal.

Then we want to use context clues in the passage to help pick the best answer. I like to read at least a few lines above and a few lines below the term to help me define the word or phrase. I defined romantic in the phrase "romantic nationalism" in this case to be an overly positive or idealized version of nationalism. So I was looking for an answer choice that represented that pre-phrase which was answer choice B.

To answer your other questions. Idealized just means better than in reality.
The aztecs were an society in what is now contemporary Mexico that were very advanced. They are the natives of what is not Mexico.
Indeginista is not a term I was familiar with but it just means the politics of the indigenous people according to google. When I read the passage I used context cluess to assume it meant something to do with the indigenous culture, but I knew it was not a word they expected us to truly understand.

Improving your vocabulary can be a huge help on the LSAT if you are planning on studying over a long period of time. Readng the Wall Street Journal if your politics lean a little more conservative or the New York Times if your politics lean a little more liberal can be a great way to improve your vocabulary. They tend to use a lot of harder words that appear in the LSAT. Alternatively fiction writers like Jonathan Franzen use an excessive amount of large vocabulary words, so you can circle each word you don't know and look it up and you will steadily improve your vocab which will help in law school and the LSAT.

Every time I read a word I don't know, I look up the word and put the word and the definition in a google doc and review the document periodically.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Ryan

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.