LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 deck1134
|
Hi PowerScore Staff,

I was stuck on 26. While I understand why B is correct, why is D wrong? Figure and O'Brien do say that there is erosion around lines 23-27, I'm not sure why D is incorrect.

I keep missing these questions and don't know what to fix!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Answer D is too broad in two senses, Deck. First, while the authors of the study would agree that Japanese Americans have a high degree of assimilation as shown in part by high levels of education and occupational mobility, do we have evidence that they would agree that those high level necessitate an erosion of community culture? They acknowledge that there has been a weakening of that culture, but did the high level of education and occupational mobility make that necessary or inevitable?

Second, answer D goes far beyond what Fugita and O’Brien wrote about. Can we be sure they would say this is true of any ethnic group? Or might they say it is unique to the Japanese American community? We can't know how much further they would take those findings, if they had even found that erosion was necessary at all.

For these two reasons, answer D fails the Fact Test and cannot be correct for this Must Be True question.
 deck1134
|
Hi Adam,

Thank you for the reply!
Answer D is too broad in two senses, Deck. First, while the authors of the study would agree that Japanese Americans have a high degree of assimilation as shown in part by high levels of education and occupational mobility, do we have evidence that they would agree that those high level necessitate an erosion of community culture? They acknowledge that there has been a weakening of that culture, but did the high level of education and occupational mobility make that necessary or inevitable?
I guess my confusion stems from the fact that sometimes these passages want you to know that an author feels that there is something happening because of something else, even if they aren't mentioned in a causal capacity. The LSAT likes to hint at these connections and then ask about them in an RC section. So I thought that was what was occurring here.

Thanks

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.