LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (E).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice.

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 gwlsathelp
|
Which one of the following statements about Zirkel and Schoenfeld can be inferred from the passage?

I chose B: "They confined their studies to the outcomes analysis technique", based off of the end of the first paragraph. It neither says that they did nor does it say that they didn't, but with the preceding sentence to stating "their enthusiasm for the 'outcomes analysis' technique" indicates that "their studies" covered this topic. Why should I have eliminated this answer choice out of consideration? I know now and why answer choice E is correct.
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
gw,

Answer choice (B) is too extreme. We know Zirkel and Schoenfeld used outcomes analysis. Where is the basis for thinking they used nothing else? You explained in your own post why this answer could be eliminated - it's a must be true question, and the passage provides no information on whether the scope of Zirkel and Schoenfeld was limited to outcomes analysis or extended beyond it. The answer choice isn't saying they covered the topic - it's saying they limited themselves to it. That requires knowing they didn't go beyond it.

Further, I think answer choice (E) is almost entailed by answer choice (B) anyway. If Zirkel and Schoenfeld used outcomes analysis, and had "enthusiasm" for it, as line 14 indicates, they surely think it's relevant for plaintiffs. So far, that's just what the passage says. Now, if we consider answer choice (B), all they're doing is outcomes analysis - well then, even more surely, they would think it useful for plaintiffs. So, while reading answer choice (E), you can get the idea that answer choice (B) is too strong, if you didn't already eliminate it in its own right.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.