LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (A).

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 lathlee
|
Hi. According to the Powerscore's answer sheet, line 55- 58 contains the relevant information to answer this question.
: " It demonstrates that ethnic communities need more than just a knowledge of history and culture as artifacts of the past in order to strengthen their ethnic identity."

Therefore Answer A is correct, " Such communities can derive important benefits from maintaining ties with their countries of origin. "

I can see some connection and why A is least wrong over any other answer, but the connection between the two information can be only correct if I see the relevant information and the answer in this form. as in line 55-58 can be phrased, "in order to run an ethnic community alive, give an incentive more than just knowledge of history and culture"......

answer A can be phrased as ..." Communities can derive important benefits, whatever incentive by running the ethnic community alive."

Is this correct?
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lathlee,

I had some trouble understanding your prephrasing because I don't know where the concept of "incentive" came from. But, no worries—the best line for justifying the correct answer choice is the last sentence, directly after the one that you quoted. It reads:

"It shows that perhaps the most effective means of empowerment for many ethnic communities of immigrant derivation may be an identification with and participation in current struggles for economic and social justice in their countries of origin."

most effective means of empowerment = important benefit

I hope this helps, and good luck!
 lathlee
|
Hi. the back of the lesson page (6-86) says the relevant info to answer this question located in pg 55-58 :

"It demonstrates that ethnic communities need more than just a knowledge history and culture as artifacts of the past in order to strengthen their ethnic identity."

the correct answer is A) Such communities can derive important benefits from maintaining ties with their countries of origin.

I know b to E) are all more incorrect answer choices than A) but I do not see relevant information from line 55-58 to make A) as the correct answer.
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lathlee,

The passage, in those lines, indicates empowerment comes from participating and identifying with the struggles going on in the country one came from. A is saying benefits come from maintaining ties - benefits could include empowerment, and participating and identifying with current struggles certainly would be maintaining ties.

Hope that helps!
 lathlee
|
This post supposed to be in December 1997 Q7-13, Korean community section

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.