LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 J1445
|
Hi there,

I had some trouble with this passage because I found the content to be a little confusing. When trying to ID the main point, I got stuck between what I interpreted as the main point (Lines 54-56) and the author's consistent jabs at the faulty reasoning of organicism and the theory of internal relations. I was left to choose between C and D but am having trouble seeing why C is wrong and D is right. Can someone please explain the difference between these two answer choices and why D is correct/where this is supported in the passage. Thank you in advance!
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi J,

Great question, and a very difficult main point question with a subtle difference between the two answer choices (C and D). Answer choice C is wrong because it's not comprehensive enough (and not as comprehensive of the argument being offered as answer choice D).

What answer choice C does is nicely summarize the problems with the theory that organicism relies on, the theory of internal relations. The author describes in detail how that theory is problematic in paragraphs 3 and 4 ("One problem with the theory..." and "The ultimate difficulty with the theory..."). Answer choice C echoes those two problems: organicism "relies on a theory that both ignores the fact that not all characteristics of entities are defining (paragraph 3) and ultimately makes the acquisition of knowledge impossible (paragraph 4)."

The reason that answer is not comprehensive enough, though, is that there is another major problem with organicism, described in paragraph 5. That problem is that organicism failed "to fully comprehend the [analytic] method." Organicism was critiquing analytic method for its lack of attention to the whole when, as paragraph 5 argues, analytic method actually "first
determined both the laws applicable to the whole system and the initial conditions of the system."

Answer choice D does a better job of describing both problems with organicism: that it was based on the faulty theory of internal relations ("it relies on faulty theory") and that it doesn't fully comprehend the analytic method ("it is based on a misrepresentation of the analytic method"). The answer thus encompasses the author's whole argument against organicism from paragraphs 3, 4, and 5.

I hope this helps!
 J1445
|
That's very helpful. Thank you for the thorough explanation! :-D

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.