LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (A).

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 al_godnessmary
|
I got down to A and E and I went for the wrong one. My reasoning was as thus:

A - Staves' research undermines on one of the Stones' assumptions, yep. The passage says she "does not completely undermine their conclusion" and goes on to say she counters one of their assumptions. I don't see any intent or attempt or desire to "invalidate" the Stones' research though...

E - I went with this one because I felt that Staves' research does in fact qualify the Stones' contention (it challenges but doesn't completely undermine) and furthermore, by pointing out that jointure property was often lost in remarriage, reveals that the Stones neglected to consider this data/fact point. So the Stones built their contention on accurate but incomplete data because they failed to draw the conclusion about jointure property although they had data on eighteenth century widow marriages.

Can someone help me to understand why A is much stronger answer? Thanks!
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
al_godnessmary wrote:I got down to A and E and I went for the wrong one. My reasoning was as thus:

A - Staves' research undermines on one of the Stones' assumptions, yep. The passage says she "does not completely undermine their conclusion" and goes on to say she counters one of their assumptions. I don't see any intent or attempt or desire to "invalidate" the Stones' research though...

E - I went with this one because I felt that Staves' research does in fact qualify the Stones' contention (it challenges but doesn't completely undermine) and furthermore, by pointing out that jointure property was often lost in remarriage, reveals that the Stones neglected to consider this data/fact point. So the Stones built their contention on accurate but incomplete data because they failed to draw the conclusion about jointure property although they had data on eighteenth century widow marriages.

Can someone help me to understand why A is much stronger answer? Thanks!

Hello,

Even if Staves is just qualifying the Stones, which I'm not sure is the case (maybe she wants to overturn more than just qualify): Staves isn't calling their data just incomplete, but more like inaccurate. (If they failed to draw the right conclusion about jointure property, that may be inaccuracy, not just incompleteness.)

David

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.