LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (A).

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 est15
|
Is (B) incorrect because of the part that says "support another astronomer's theory"? So in order for (B) to be correct it would have had to say "support his or her own theory"?
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi est15!

Yes, the author is not supporting someone else's theory, rather he is offering his own viewpoint which questions the theory of the scientists who concluded brevetoxins to be the cause of the dolphin die-off. So he is not providing additional observations to support someone else's theory, he is questioning someone else's theory.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 avengingangel
|
What is this question even asking ?? I don't get it at all... I cannot identify an "approach" taken by the author to even form an analogy out of. Thanks.
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
avengingangel wrote:What is this question even asking ?? I don't get it at all... I cannot identify an "approach" taken by the author to even form an analogy out of. Thanks.

Hello,

The researchers provided valuable information, e.g., things relating to lesions or red tides. However, the author concludes that there are other ways ("An alternative hypothesis, which accounts for these facts...") to explain or deal with the phenomena the researchers came up with.
Thus, answer A is the best answer.

David
 zoezoe6021
|
Hello,

Could you plz explain why D is wrong?

The author provides an alternative explanation for a phenomenon that was incorrectly interpreted by the research team.

That sounds similar to "a doctor prescribes medication for a patient whose illness was misdiagnosed by another doctor".

Thank you.
 EmilyOwens
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
zoezoe6021 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:08 am Hello,

Could you plz explain why D is wrong?

The author provides an alternative explanation for a phenomenon that was incorrectly interpreted by the research team.

That sounds similar to "a doctor prescribes medication for a patient whose illness was misdiagnosed by another doctor".

Thank you.
Hi Zoe,

Absolutely! The key words here are “prescribes medication.” The doctor aids in fixing the problem in answer choice (D). However, the author of the passage does nothing of the sort. Rather, they accept the symptoms but suggest an alternative conclusion (not solution) than what was initially provided. I hope that helps! :)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.