LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 mN2mmvf
|
I chose D because it seemed most correct, but how does the LSAT support the idea that the passage is concerned with "possible alternative *explanations*" (plural)? Only one alternative explanation is offered, and the existence of others isn't even alluded to.
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Putting the question stem and the correct answer together, we get: "The passage is primarily concerned with assessing (D) possible alternative explanations for the massive dolphin die-off."

Brevotoxin and the sudden influx of pollutants are both alternative explanations. They are both explanations and they are alternatives in the sense that the dolphin die-off could have been caused by either one.

I believe I understand your confusion. You were assuming "alternative explanations" just meant any other explanations besides the author's preferred explanation. Because the question stem doesn't first mention a particular solution, both causal explanations listed are "alternative explanations" because each would preclude the other from being the cause.

Thanks for the great question!
 mN2mmvf
|
Thanks Claire! That's a very lawyerly way of interpreting the word "alternative" that I had not considered, but it makes sense!
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Haha :lol: Thank you!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.