LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 lathlee
|
Hi. the fact that D) is the correct answer is even more confusing after reading Mr. Adam Tyson's critique for my viewstamp analysis. Also, I went with E) in first place as well, the text spends a significant time of explaining the culture of naming in HOpian culture (it's beauty) and how Western world doesn't get it which is E) is about
Adam Tyson wrote: Are Mills and Straus making arguments? I don't see any premises to support their claims. Those are just facts - the author saying what they said. Don't seek to turn statements into arguments - there is enough work to do on these passages without seeing arguments around every corner.

Back away from the tremendous amount of work you are putting into these analyses. I suspect that it's eating into your time, a lot, and time is a precious commodity on this test! Keep it simple, keep it concise, predict questions, note where things are, and get to the questions. More than that and you are losing sight of the goal here, which is to answer questions based on the text. VIEWSTAMP is good and helpful, but it's not the goal - it's a tool to help you reach that goal. Put too much effort into the tool and there's no time left to put it to use!
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Lathlee,

I believe that Adam was trying to say that you should not see entire arguments present in the discussion of Mill and Levi-Strauss. That is, the author did not present us with Mill's and Levi-Strauss's evidence, rationales, and conclusion. Instead we were simply given their conclusions.

As Adam said in that post:
Are Mills and Straus making arguments? I don't see any premises to support their claims.
From what I can see in Adam's response, he does agree that there are claims — or maybe hypotheses, theories, or conclusions — present, but not fully formed arguments.

The nomenclature does get difficult to interpret at times, so don't worry about it so much. Are we given "two influential views" as answer choice (D) implicitly states? Sure.

What exactly is a view, and how is distinguished from an argument or a theory? Don't worry about that. When you come across trivially small differences like this, chances are you are missing the larger points at play.

I definitely agree with Adam's advice to
Back away from the tremendous amount of work you are putting into these analyses.
If you are still having trouble with this question, start by reflecting on where you believed you found the author explaining the "cultural origins of names." After reading this passage, are you prepared to answer me if I asked "where do names come from?"

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.