LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 cardinal2017
|
Hi, I chose (B) here considering the contents of the second paragraph and the above statements at the end of the first paragraph.

And I do not understand how (D) is the correct answer since it is saying 'Hopi names 'may' have semantics' while at the end of the first paragraph it is stated that names of Hopi 'refer' to ritual events.

Anyone could explain about this issue?

Thanks in advance.
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi cardinal2017,

Keep in mind that you're specifically looking for features of the names that contribute to their poetic quality. D, conferring identity on individuals, is something that the Hopi names do, but there is no reason from the passage to think that the conferring of identity itself is part of or contributes to the poetic nature of the names. B, however, is something that enhances the poetic nature, as illustrated by the example given in lines 30-45. Hopefully that helps!
 NeverMissing
|
Hi Powerscore,

I believe the explanation given above by Emily is in reference to question 13.

To piggyback off the other user above, I also chose answer choice B for question 11. It does seem that the primary focus of paragraph two is to explain the ways in which Hopi personal names can reference events in the recipient's life (birth, entry into ritual society, and puberty are all given as examples of such life events).

Could you help explain why B is incorrect?
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi NeverMissing,

If a name references an event in a person's life I would expect that we can glean something about the event from that name. The name "little rabbit," used as an example in this paragraph, does not tell you anything about an event in the child's life. Rather, according to the paragraph, it signifies the child's size and a representational animal.

Consider the following. In Western, Catholic tradition, young teens are given a confirmation name. This name is typically the name of a particular saint that has meaning for the individual. This name is given at a particular point in a person's life, during a religious ritual, but does it reference an event in the person's life? If you knew that someone's confirmation name was Paul, would the name "Paul" tell you anything about that event? It would tell you that the person was confirmed, but this does not reference the event.

In other words, having been given a name during a certain ritual or at a certain age, does not necessarily refer to events. The third paragraph does provide a lot of details for names referencing events, but paragraph two focuses on other aspects of Hopi names: specifically, that they carry semantic (meaningful) content of physical appearance or clan affiliation.

The first sentence of the Third paragraph seems to bolster the idea that the second paragraph does not discuss event-referencing meaning. The opening words of this paragraph - "More often though" - indicates that what follows is contrary to what was just discussed.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.