LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 ChicaRosa
|
I understand why A is wrong but can someone explain why D is the correct answer?

I thought Answer choice D was wrong because of ln 12-16 especially the last part where it says, "in order to place individuals within society and to confer an identity upon them."

Thanks!
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ChicaRosa,

D is the correct answer because, although you are right that the passage indicates Hopi names do confer identity, it doesn't indicate that the ability of the names to confer identity contributes to the poetic quality. Does that help?
 rwraulynaitis
|
Hi,

Could you point out to me where in the passage it is mentioned that Hopi personal names' ability to subtly convey meaning contributes to their poetic quality (answer choice E). This was the only incorrect answer choice that I was unable to locate.

Thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I would point to a few pieces of evidence that support that, rwraulynaitis. First there is the discussion of the name "Lomayayva," the translation of which ("beautifully ascended") tells nothing directly. One must know something about the name giver's clan and the event referred to in order to discern the meaning. The author uses that as an example of how a Hopi name can be a "tiny imagist poem."

That idea is reinforced in the final sentence of the passage:
Interpreters must understand Hopi clan structures and linguistic practices in order to discern the beauty and significance of Hopi names.
That, too, suggests that subtlety is a contributing factor to the poetic quality of the names. It's not any one line that explicitly says this, but an inference that can be drawn from the totality of the text.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.