LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (E).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice.

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 dorsaltf
|
I struggle with this question because I thought the passage isn't arguing for implementing a specific change, rather shifting our view on what "impartiality" today could mean in the courtrooms.
Can someone please explain why the answer is E and not B?
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Sure thing, dorsaltf.

On these purpose questions, I start by focusing on the main verb in the answer choice. In this case, we are comparing "call attention to" with "argue for." This passage is more than just bringing attention to an issue. I'd say that "call attention to" would well describes the portion of the passage dedicated to the issue of the problems with voir dire. However, that is not the whole passage. The final paragraph of the passage moves forward---it goes beyond just describing issues with the voir dire process. It makes an argument at the end for a new way of thinking about juror impartiality that doesn't rely on juror ignorance. The passage makes an affirmative argument for a solution to the problem.

Answer choice (B) focuses just on the voir dire and media issues. It's too narrow, and the action doesn't represent the strength of the viewpoint in the passage. Answer choice (E) on the other hand matches the issue discussed as well as the author's point in writing the passage.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.