LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (E).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice.

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 Khodi7531
|
Generally confused about this question. Not sure where to even look for support...only around the 1930 line where it's the only thing that alludes to that specific time frame. I chose B, but answer is E. Where does "naturalness of expression" even come from?
 Alex Bodaken
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Khodi7531,

This is a tricky question, for exactly the reason you identified - the phrase "naturalness of expression" never appears in the passage. In order to correctly answer it, we have to understand the dichotomy being set up in the passage: the author is arguing that Hispanic-American literature written in Spanish pendulums between two different modes that she calls "cosmopolitanism" and "nativism." Cosmopolitan periods are when these authors are attempting to "adopt the literary forms and styles in vogue in other European and North American literatures," while nativist periods are when these authors are "endeavoring to describe the nature of the United States and give voice to the Hispanic peoples who live there." In other words, when authors write more like non-Hispanic writers, they necessarily are less descriptive/less vivid than they otherwise could be, and vice-versa.

The key passage to this question is:

"An example of the former (35) was the rich period of the avant-garde between 1918 and 1930. This was a time of searching and experimentation, when successive European movements from expressionism to surrealism movements that were also inspiring other North (40) American writers—had a profound influence on many Hispanic-American poets and novelists. This phase, which produced a number of outstanding works of exceptional boldness of expression, was followed by another characterized by a return to our peoples and (45) our colloquial dialects, by the creation of works less indebted to current trends in the mainstream culture."

So we can say that from 1918-1930, there was a "cosmopolitan" period - which we know means that it was less descriptive. And then, it was followed by a "nativist" period - that's the period we are being asked about. The connection we are asked to make is from "colloquial expression" - i.e., familiar expression - to "naturalness of expression." In other words, since the authors were no longer trying to be cosmopolitan, they were free to return to expression that felt natural for them.

Hope that's helpful!
AB
 Khodi7531
|
Ok, I can see how naturalness can be justified now by "by a return to our peoples..." but I mean still. How can one read this question and those answer choices (while expressionistic tendencies) is still there, and chose something that's just so "risky". E can be supported..but B most definitely can too.

I can afford to miss a question like this to be honest and more happy that I didn't even bother to justify E because I quickly circled B...but just crazy to me how someone can honestly chose E with comfort.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.