LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 Khodi7531
|
Very confused on what this question was asking and what I should be looking for.

From what I can understand, it's asking that where does retributive nature exist in the second rationale? And if so, B can be paraphrased around line 45-48 where it says "similarly our intuition that a punishment is just is based on our sense that this punishment fairly balances societal benefit against harm". But I don't get how this can "consist" based off the next line on 50, where the question tells you to reference, where it says "retributive nature disappears". So it technically doesn't have retributive nature.

I chose A and new I didn't know what I was doing but I was anticipating something that would have to reflect punishment by the harm/societal harm it's caused? Something like that.

Still lost on this.
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Khodi,

The harm/benefit balance is part of the first rationale, not the second. Line 15 tells me about the second rationale, and you can see that this matches answer choice (B) perfectly.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.