LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 eober
|
Hi,

I cannot find anything wrong with the answer choice A, what makes it incorrect? Is it because it focuses more on neoclassical economists rather than steady-state economists?

Thanks for your help!
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi eober,

This is correct. Answer choice (A) summarizes the position of the neoclassical economists, but barely mentions the steady-state economists. As such, it cannot summarize the main point of the passage, which is clearly focused on the views of the steady-state school. Furthermore, the content of the third paragraph is missing from answer choice (A).

When answering Main Point questions, make sure to avoid answer choices that are true, but fail to summarize the passage as a whole. This is especially true when working with passages that express multiple viewpoints, as is the case here.

Thanks!
 lathlee
|
Hi. I do not understand why D is not correct considering that D is the only answer that mentions conservation which is portrayed as the ultimate solution for both schools' problems for the relevant disputes. Also, the significant portion of this passage supplements neoclassicals by steady-state economist school has some valid criticism that the Neoliberals are not considering. therefore it makes D) more of correct than b). But I am wrong. What am i not seeing?
 Shannon Parker
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
lathlee wrote:Hi. I do not understand why D is not correct considering that D is the only answer that mentions conservation which is portrayed as the ultimate solution for both schools' problems for the relevant disputes. Also, the significant portion of this passage supplements neoclassicals by steady-state economist school has some valid criticism that the Neoliberals are not considering. therefore it makes D) more of correct than b). But I am wrong. What am i not seeing?
Answer choice D is the correct answer choice. However, be careful reading the answer choices because answer choice C also touches on conservation, but does not completely summarize the main point of the passage.
 blade21cn
|
I'm down to (C) and (D). Can anyone explain why (C) does not completely summarize the main point of the passage? Thanks!
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Blade21cn,

As Shannon noted:
Answer choice C also touches on conservation, but does not completely summarize the main point of the passage.
The last sentence of the passage is key here, as it goes a long way toward the main point of the passage. Reread that sentence and notice the phrase "alternatives to growth, such as conservation." Conservation is being used as an example of an alternative to growth (like in D), not as the only solution (like in C).

D also does a better job of tracking the rest of the sentence, about not having to sacrifice the "wants of consumers and producers."

Good job narrowing your choices down to two! When in doubt, look for helpful line references in the passage.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.