LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

margidag
|
Hello, this question surprised me because I am used to seeing structure/organization questions with long, detailed answer choices. These answer choices are a short and a little ambiguous. I was able to eliminate D and E. A, B, and C all seem like they could fit. Can you explain how you differentiate B from A and C?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I'm with you there, margidag! This was a surprisingly short and simple set of organization answers, but then again, the passage did also have a fairly simple structure.

What came first? The conclusion that the platypus uses its bill to find prey while underwater. Since we start with that conclusion, we can eliminate from contention answers A, D, and E. It's not a theory or a hypothesis - it's their conclusion, reached after extensive studies! They may have started their investigations with a theory or hypothesis in mind, but the conclusion comes after that theory or hypothesis is tested, and that is where the passage begins. And C is a problem because what followed the conclusion was not an argument, but simply a description of the studies and their findings - the evidence. An argument is more than just the evidence, but is made of the evidence coupled with the conclusion (just like in logical reasoning). So this whole passage was just a conclusion followed by all the premises!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.