LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

lanereuden
|
It's between A and B to me, but since they seem both equally true. That is, the passage devotes equal time to both...I am thinking it's C, which would encompass everything, or so I think.
 Erik Shum
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Lane,

The passage's introduction is most helpful for identifying the passage's purpose, as the rest is a factual recounting of the research. The author's purpose can be found in the way the material is organized and how the material is introduced.

The first sentence has no mention of the platypus's hunting behaviour but just sets a baseline for scientific knowledge of the platypus's bill. The second sentence immediately builds on that by adding the recent discovery of the bill's function in hunting. From there, the passage appears to proceeds to recount the findings of two complimentary studies that show in detail how the bill is used in hunting.

Answer choice (A) only refers to Scheich's research (involving detection at a distance through electroreception), found in the second half of the passage.

Answer choice (B) describes the passage from the second sentence onwards (where the first sentence serves to provide context for the recent research). This is the correct answer.

Answer choice (C) refers only to Bohringer's research, found in the first half of the passage, and the passage does not "assess" Bohringer's work (the author does not provide any measure or opinion on the quality of the work).

Answer choice (D) ignores Bohringer's half of the passage and is an odd way of describing's Schiech's half, which describe's Schiech's scientific work or contribution to solving the mystery, and not Schiech's "contribution to" scientific work.

Answer choice (E) refers to two different pores but the passage refers to two different sensory receptors within the pores, and it is not conclusive that the pores themselves can be separated into two different groups.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.