LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

deck1134
|
Hi PowerScore,

I have no idea how to distinguish A, B, and C. My prephrase was "Uses technology to see whether an animal uses sensitivity to detect something," which seems to encompass all three.
 lanereuden
|
deck1134 wrote:Hi PowerScore,

I have no idea how to distinguish A, B, and C. My prephrase was "Uses technology to see whether an animal uses sensitivity to detect something," which seems to encompass all three.

Hi Deck1134,

One way to think about this is as follows:

The question asks us to find a strategy most similar to Sheich's experimental strategy as it is described in the passage. Indeed, answer choices (A), (B), and (C) all attempt to learn about animal behavior by introducing something man-made into the environment. So let's look for differences between these answer choices that can be compared to the passage. The most clear difference is that answer choice (A) seeks to explain mating habits, answer choice (B) seeks to explain navigational behavior, and answer choice (C) seeks to explain hunting behavior. Sheich's experiment was meant to learn about hunting behavior, making answer choice (C) the most similar of the answer choices.

Another way of thinking could be:

in the passage, the platypuses are trying to detect electrical fields emitted by other creatures.

So we have As (platypus) trying to detect energy produced by Bs (prey).

In answer A, we have As (birds) trying to mate with As (birds).

In answer B, we have A (a certain animal) trying to detect energy produced by A (the same animal).

C is the only answer where you have As (animals) trying to detect energy produced by Bs (prey).

In other words, C is correct.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.