LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=14136)

The correct answer choice is (D)

In Global, Could Be True questions you must typically rely on your main diagram, and this question is no different. However, instead of eliminating answer choices using Not Laws, this question often requires you to rely on the fourth rule to eliminate answer choices. With that in mind, let’s examine each answer choice individually:

Answer choice (A): This answer cannot occur because G is the third school to which snacks are delivered, and F must be the first or second school to which snacks are delivered.

Answer choice (B): This answer choice cannot occur because if snacks are delivered to G before they are delivered to I, then because snacks are delivered to G third, the snacks delivery to I would occur fourth. But, from the fourth rule, then the juices would be delivered first to I, meaning that I’s juices delivery would be earlier than G’s juices delivery.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice cannot occur because either H or I must be the first school to which juices are delivered and the fourth school to which snacks are delivered, meaning that one of H and I is always delivered before the other in the juices, and then delivered after the other in the snacks.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. Here’s one hypothetical that shows the scenario in this answer choice could occur:

PT69_Game_#3_#16_diagram 1.png
Answer choice (E): This answer choice is functionally the same as answer choice (C). Either H or I must be the first school to which juices are delivered and the fourth school to which snacks are delivered, meaning that one of H and I is always delivered before the other in the juices, and then delivered after the other in the snacks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 saranash1
|
The answer states that, " Both juices and snacks are delivered to isley at some time before they are delivered to Ferndale".

If we have the set up :

Juices : H I G F
Snacks: I F GH

the juices for Isely and ferndale are delivered at the same time. Woudln't I have to be delivered on a prior day to F to be considered to be "delivered at some point before" ?
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
saranash1 wrote:The answer states that, " Both juices and snacks are delivered to isley at some time before they are delivered to Ferndale".

If we have the set up :

Juices : H I G F
Snacks: I F GH

the juices for Isely and ferndale are delivered at the same time. Woudln't I have to be delivered on a prior day to F to be considered to be "delivered at some point before" ?
Hello saranash1,

I think you mean answer choice D.
I would have be delivered on a prior day to F, but maybe for each of the two categories. So the setup you have seems to be o.k., in that for juices *alone*, I is before F, and for snacks too, I is before F.

Hope that helps,
Daid
 saranash1
|
Ok, I was just thinking about it incorrectly. Thanks
 JiminyC
|
to me this question made it seem like they were asking which scenario could both snacks and juices be delivered to one of the schools before the other location had both snacks and juices delivered. it doesn't really specify snacks before snacks and juices before juices. has anyone else had this issue or just me? only time I've ever been stumped on an LG question
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi JiminyC,

This is a great question and observation on your part. It's something that made me go back and revisit my assumptions about the scenario to this game. The short answer to your question is that the answer choices should be interpreted as you're interpreting them: that is, for which schools could it be true that both the snacks and the juices (collectively) are delivered before both the snacks and juices (collectively) are delivered to the other school.

Let's go back to the scenario first. It shows that, for a single truck (let's say, the Juice truck), the deliveries that happen within each week must be ordered, first to fourth. That is because there is only one truck available to do the deliveries, and that truck cannot be in two places at once. But, nothing in either the rules or the scenario tells you exactly which order the snack and juice deliveries come in relative to one another. That is to say, it's possible that the first juice delivery occurs before the first snack delivery, or vice-versa. It's also possible that the first juice delivery occurs after (and this is where things get weird!) all the snack deliveries. Maybe the snack truck does all its deliveries on Monday, then the juice truck does all its deliveries on Tuesday (notice there are no day-of-the-week specifications in the scenario and rules).

What that means is that, in the scenario sketched in the original post in this thread, the absolute order of all 8 deliveries could be: S1 (the first snack delivery), then J1-3 (the first three juice deliveries), then S2-4 (the last three snack deliveries), then J4. If that were the absolute order, then both deliveries to Isley happen before both deliveries to Ferndale.

Notice that each of the other answer choices cannot be true, because there would be no way for the first variable in the answer to be before the second variable in the answer, in either the Juice line (individually) or the Snack line (individually).

I wouldn't recommend changing the diagram at all, because this is the simplest diagram available to organize the information. However, the scenario allows us to "decouple" the Juice line from the Snack line when thinking about absolute delivery order.

I hope this helps!

Jeremy

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.