LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

8scn
|
Hello

Why is A correct? I chose B. I excluded A because isn’t A saying that the author is convinced that an exact match is anything but impossible to achieve, meaning that it is possible to achieve? But in the text, I got the impression that the author was saying that it is NOT possible to achieve an exact match (lines 33-35).
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for your question. There is an important difference between "anything but impossible" (which means certainly not impossible) and "all but impossible" (which means basically impossible). Consider a situation in which a sports commentator says "this game is all but over." Basically, it's all done.

Correct anwer choice A actually reflects the author's opinion that getting an exact match is "all but impossible." That is, basically impossible.

Let me know if this important distinction is clear.

Thanks!
 eober
|
Hi,

For answer choice A, I am confused about what "exact match is ALL but impossible" means? Is it the same as simply saying "exact match is impossible"?

Thanks for the clarification! :)
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
eober wrote:Hi,

For answer choice A, I am confused about what "exact match is ALL but impossible" means? Is it the same as simply saying "exact match is impossible"?

Thanks for the clarification! :)
Hello,

It means "very nearly impossible", not "impossible".

David

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.