LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

eober
|
Hi,

In this question I was between D and E but I couldn't find the example for "the ability to anticipate later artists". Where is this exemplified?

Also, the line 20 says "one art critic even goes so far as to claim that..", does this contain a negative tone or is it supportive of the passage?

Thanks!
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
eober wrote:Hi,

In this question I was between D and E but I couldn't find the example for "the ability to anticipate later artists". Where is this exemplified?

Also, the line 20 says "one art critic even goes so far as to claim that..", does this contain a negative tone or is it supportive of the passage?

Thanks!
Hello,

Around lines 16-17, it discusses anticipating later artistic developments.
Lines 19-23 do run against the main grain of the passage.

David
 Arindom
|
Hi there!

For ques 6, I would like to know where in the passage the works of the pre-World War 1 painters mentioned in the passage had the ability to anticipate later artists?

Thank you.

- Arindom
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Arindom,

Thanks for the question! It is the line that says they were "credited with having anticipated not just subsequent developments in the arts."

Hope that helps!
 Arindom
|
Thanks, Emily!

- Arindom
 Khodi7531
|
Between D and E.

I eliminated E because I thought - even though the author didn't agree with this view - it was spoken about and had examples of why others thought that (even if it was luck).

D I had to chose because I didn't talk about ANY "later artists". The support for D that allows you to eliminate is stated by the post above, to use lines 16-19. But "ARTISTS", physical people, were never anticipated... it was generally developments in art and political/social disruptions. Neither of that is specific enough to refer to AN ARTIST.

It spoke basically around that, but not directly. So how can those line references be enough to show that D was supported and eliminated? Especially comparing to E.

Also side note...this is a weird question right? "An example of each of these?" At this point what constitutes an example

These are literally all the things that run through my head when I get to these options.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
This one struck me as odd, too, khodi, and I too am a little uneasy about the use of "examples" in the question stem.

As to your concerns about answer D, first let me point out that there is a huge difference between "artists" and "AN artist". You are correct that the passage tells us nothing about anticipating any particular individual artist, only about "the arts" generally. However, how can there be any development in the arts without the involvement of at least some artists? Those developments don't just happen by themselves, but are brought about with paintbrushes and clay and quills and cameras, all wielded by people making art!

As to answer E, the key to picking it is in the question stem - "according to the author". Does the AUTHOR believe that the work of those artists contains any examples of them predicting social changes? Other folks might think so, but not "according to the author", because he argues against that claim. The first line of your post below tells you everything you need to know about that answer!

Keep at it!
 Khodi7531
|
Ohhhhh you're right. Both are great points...I never thought about "developments in the arts" would go hand in hand with artists themselves. As well as the "according to the author" portion. Because others he brings up speak about the arts contributing to social change (for that sole purpose) but the author doesn't believe it and I knew that.

Just glad to see it now. Thanks for the help!!
 snowy
|
How do we know that the author agrees with lines 16-17? I read it as the author stating an "often" credited aspect, but didn't find support that the author themselves agrees with that view - especially since the author disagrees with many other parts of the commonly held views on this topic.

I was between D and E and ultimately chose E, but I wasn't convinced that D was present in the passage as something the author believes.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
For one thing, snowy, the author clearly believes that those artists did engage in a "fundamental...break with tradition". His quarrel is only with those who ascribed political predictions to them, and with nobody else. The structure of "not just subsequent developments in the arts, but also the political and social disruptions and upheavals" suggests that the author is saying that the first thing is acceptable, but the second is not. That is, it's just those who credit the artists with predicting political upheavals who are going too far.

Imagine a father lecturing his child for getting involved with a cult, saying "you not only went to the meeting, you gave them all your money and shaved your head!" Is the father okay with the fact that the child went to the meeting, and really just upset about what they did next? If the child had gone to the meeting and then walked out without joining, would Dad be happy? I think so. I can imagine that father saying "Good for you for not falling for their nonsense, kiddo!" The structure of that type of statement suggests that the second part (giving money, shaving the head) is the real problem, and the first part (going to the meeting) is not such a big deal.

But there's another, even better reason to reject answer D and select answer E here, and that is because it is completely clear from the entire Main Point and Tone of the passage, and the author's stated Viewpoint, that the author does NOT believe those artists were predicting social changes. That's the whole thing he is arguing against! Answer D may be a little vague, but answer E is a slam dunk for being the best of the bunch. If you aren't sure about one answer, but sure another is correct, go with the one you are sure about!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.