LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

voodoochild
|
Experts,
I was down to B and C on this one. Here's my reasoning (Please let me know whether I am correct):-

My pre-phrase was that Rivera says Gods do have a say in choices that people make. Lesky says "no." It's individual actions/choices and Gods together determine the actions.

a) - "consequences" of actions is not in question. The article is about what drives the actions. OUT

b) I liked it . Let's keep it.

c) I liked it . Let's keep it.

d) "Actions of deities" ? "moral evaluation" -- Two NO's

e) more ethical ? Nope.

Going back to B and C, I feel that B is more appropriate because R says "Gods" do have a say, and L says "Gods don't have the only say." So B) sounds good. On the other hand, if I consider that R says "Personal choices don't determine actions", and L says "Personal choices and Gods determine the actions" --- C) sounds correct too.

It's hard to think about the difference.

I am lost. Please help. Thanks
 Frank Cozzarelli
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Voodoo,

It is common on the LSAT to have a reading comprehension passage where scholars are arguing two seemingly diametrically opposing positions, and then later on in the passage another scholar is introduced arguing for a "third way" of thinking about the conflict (often reconciling the opposing positions).

In this passage, the first school of thought introduced by Snell argues for the importance of personal autonomy in Greek tragedies, whereas Riviera argues that it is largely superhuman forces that are the main influence. Lesky, we are told, disputes both views. As we are told in lines 54/55: "In Lesky’s view, tragic action is bound by the constant tension (55) between a self and superhuman forces."

This is why C is the best answer, because Riviera thinks the protagonist's own desires do not have much relevance to the outcome, whereas Lesky believes the protagonist's desires have at least some relevance to the outcome.
 voodoochild
|
Frank - thanks for your reply. I am not sure why B is incorrect.

Here's the summary of the three viewpoints

GT = Greek tragedies

Snell - Personal autonomy in GT

Rivera - Gods influence in GT

Lesky - Tension between personal autonomy and Gods influence.

As we can see from the list above, Lesky and Rivera do differ in the view that only Gods do influence Greek tragedies. Isn't it?

Please help.

Thanks
 Frank Cozzarelli
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Answer choice B discusses "whether or not the tragic protagonist acknowledges the role of the deities in his or her life." This is an aspect we cannot be as certain about. The critical perspectives offered in the passage talk about the influence of deities on the action in Greek tragedies, but we don't know if that means the protagonists acknowledge the role of the deities. While it might be fair to say from the example that Lesky would agree that the protagonists acknowledge the deities (since in Lesky's example Agamemnon talks directly to the deity), we don't really know much about what Riviera thinks about this. He says that the influence of deities is both an external force and experienced as an internal compulsion. This leaves it ambiguous as to whether the protagonists in Rivera's view acknowledge the role of the deities - they could be acting but be ultimately unaware of the influence.
 voodoochild
|
Frank Cozzarelli wrote:Answer choice B discusses "whether or not the tragic protagonist acknowledges the role of the deities in his or her life." This is an aspect we cannot be as certain about. The critical perspectives offered in the passage talk about the influence of deities on the action in Greek tragedies, but we don't know if that means the protagonists acknowledge the role of the deities. While it might be fair to say from the example that Lesky would agree that the protagonists acknowledge the deities (since in Lesky's example Agamemnon talks directly to the deity), we don't really know much about what Riviera thinks about this. He says that the influence of deities is both an external force and experienced as an internal compulsion. This leaves it ambiguous as to whether the protagonists in Rivera's view acknowledge the role of the deities - they could be acting but be ultimately unaware of the influence.
Thanks Frank! Do you think that if the answer choice were "whether or not the deities influence the outcome of the tragedies' action," it would be a correct answer choice?

I am trying to understand whether I misunderstood the passage, or whether the wording in the answer choice threw me off.

Thanks for your help.

Voodoo
 Frank Cozzarelli
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Both Rivier and Lesky would agree that the deities are influencing the outcome in the tragedies. Where they differ is on whether the protagonists own desires are relevant to the outcome. Rivier says there is no relevance, whereas Lesky believes there is at least some relevance. Since the question is asking about the "central difference" between Lesky and Rivier's viewpoints, C would still be the better answer.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.