LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

avengingangel
|
Why is C wrong? Is it because "bypass" (line 52) doesn't mean the same as "unwillingness"? And also because the answer choice compares the technology to "those used by industrialized countries" ? - and that comparison is not made in the passage ?

Also, why is D correct? I realized it's likely from lines 46-49, but I don't see how "an economically viable role" (line 47) is a similar meaning as "a profitable use"

Thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Unwillingness of any nation is never mentioned in the passage, angel - that's why C can't be right in this Must Be True question. "Bypass" means skip over - the author is suggesting that it would be a good thing if developing nations never adopt the more wasteful processes that are currently used by industrial nations, but instead jump right to an industrial ecosystem approach when they become industrialized.

I'm not sure how much more similar "economically viable" and "profitable" can be! I suppose something might be economically viable if it supported profit elsewhere in the system and was less of a drain than a benefit, but even that to me means that the product has a profitable use. What does "economically viable" mean if not "profitable"? I'd say at worst it means that it is a source of neither loss nor of gain, but that doesn't seem to be what the author is suggesting. He's saying everything is useful at every stage of the process, contributing to a successful economy, and I think that means lowering costs or raising benefits or both.

Give that some further thought and see if you don't agree.
 avengingangel
|
yes, thanks, makes lots of sense and is clearly the best answer. i guess just going through it under a timed situation kind of makes me think "too hard" about some certain words or terms... thanks !

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.