LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Question Line Reference

The correct answer choice is (E)

The justification for the correct answer can be found on:

(lines 55-60)

The author states in the last 6 lines that the healthful properties of wine may come from certain natural compounds found in grapes.
 AnnBar
|
Hello PowerScore,

I was able to identify answer choice E as the correct answer, but did so not completely convinced. I was also considering answer A. Is answer choice A incorrect because most of the passage is not about what is mentioned in A? It is merely a springboard for the passage, but not the primary point?

I feel like I often times find myself picking between two answer choices in these MP questions.
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, AnnBar,

Good question. Let's address both aspects of your question separately.

First, answer choice (A) has a couple defects. As you noted, the scope of (A) is too narrow: it deals only with the initial part of the discussion. In addition, the author of this passage is not contesting the larger consensus that alcohol in general has deleterious health effects. Instead, the author contests this blanket conclusion as it pertains to the health benefits of wine, which the author argues is the exception rather than the rule.

Second, let's discuss your approach on "main point" or "primary purpose" questions. In general, if you're having trouble with such problems, consider perhaps choosing a different problem or different problems to answer first on reading comprehension passages. For example, consider choosing very detail-oriented questions ("According to the passage, which of the following..." or "Which of the following does the passage identify as a feature of..." &c.). In your close-reading in the passage to find evidence to answer these questions you may improve your understanding of the overall main point of the passage.

When you do a main point question, make sure that you generate a strong prephrase. In your own words, try to provide a brief synopsis of the entire point of the passage: what's it about? what's the author's point of view about this subject? what happens in each part of the passage, and how does everything fit together?

Focus on using your prephrase to compare to answer choices. Separate the options into contenders and losers. When you're left with two (or maybe three) contenders, focus on the differences between these answers. In this case, we can see the difference in scope or the factual error in answer choice (A). Try to keep your focus narrow. If you can find something wrong with an answer choice, eliminate it. Focus on eliminating answers because they're incorrect rather than arguing for why you like answers.

I hope this helps!
 angelsfan0055
|
I was choosing between E and D. chose E initially and then went back and picked D. I selected D because it seemed like the author believed the idea, but that they were open to more study. even the lines said above to signify the correct answer, it seems that the author isn't entirely convinced. they write "may be the first step" potentially healthful effects. When I read it, it sounded like the science hasn't proved definitively that wine has healthful effects, though it is implied.

any insight?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You're correct, angelsfan0055, that the author would agree with answer D. But the question isn't just asking for what the author believes, or what the passage supports. The question is asking for the Main Point of the passage, which is like their thesis statement, or a comprehensive summary of all the key ideas presented in the passage as a whole. The right answer to a Main Point question should cover all the big ideas, not just make a true statement about one of them, and it should also convey the overall tone of the passage.

In this case, while the author is critical of the scientists in the first paragraph, and would acknowledge that the science isn't absolutely definitive yet, the author is very optimistic about the implications of the research and feels that we have made the first step towards answering the important question of why wine seems to be healthier than other alcoholic beverages. The right answer to the Main Point question needs to convey that optimism, and it needs to say what the author thinks about the implications of the research. Answer D fails on both counts - the tone of that answer isn't positive, and there is no mention of the research indicating that they may have found an answer to the big question.

Beware of wrong answers to these questions that are true but which are not comprehensive statements about the big ideas being conveyed!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.