LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

lathlee
|
first of all, I am just making it sure. the question is asking the reader to pick an answer that the second version of multicultural education proponents has a problem with. right?

if that is the case, then D, C, A, E contain scenarios of non-value-neutral which a second version school preaches to abandon. I do not understand why D is correct over all other three. since all these answer choices utilize another value standard to judge a culture in a studies' value. However, I can agree and give that out of all these options, D is most value - UNNEUTRAL and another culture VALUE imposing to the culture that is studied. But still, a bitter taste remains in my mouth.
 Shannon Parker
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
lathlee wrote:first of all, I am just making it sure. the question is asking the reader to pick an answer that the second version of multicultural education proponents has a problem with. right?

if that is the case, then D, C, A, E contain scenarios of non-value-neutral which a second version school preaches to abandon. I do not understand why D is correct over all other three. since all these answer choices utilize another value standard to judge a culture in a studies' value. However, I can agree and give that out of all these options, D is most value - UNNEUTRAL and another culture VALUE imposing to the culture that is studied. But still, a bitter taste remains in my mouth.
You are correct that the question is asking which answer choice presents a scenario that the proponents of the second version of multicultural education have a problem with. The second version is not necessarily against making "judgments" or criticisms. The second version simply tries to eliminate the subjectivity of it by achieving those judgments through scientific means. Answer choice A is a simply study of the moral codes. Since there is no judgment made about the differences the "rule" about making value judgments unscientifically is not implicated. Answer choice B follows the same logic, by studying the literature without making judgment. Answer choice C employs the scientific method which is what the second version calls for, as does answer choice E by using the methods of anthropology and sociology.

Answer choice D criticizes the literature of another culture. In the study they use the literary theories of a different culture instead of the culture of the people that the literature is composed by. It is the only answer choice where judgments or criticisms are made without using the scientific method and therefore the only answer choice that they would have a problem with.

Hope this helps.
Shannon
 yasmineflores
|
How did you guys know that they wanted you to pick an answer that the proponents would disagree with? I thought the question was asking for situation that they would agree with and could not figure out the answer? picked B because it was the only would somewhat close to something neutral.
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Yasmine!

The key is in this phrase in the question stem: "considered objectionable by proponents." We're looking for an answer that the proponents would "consider objectionable," in other words something they would object to or disagree with. In viewpoint-oriented questions like this one, watch out for the language that tips you off to what the person or group would think about the answer in question. In this question stem, that's the word "consider" (i.e. think), which clues you in to the right part of the question stem.

I hope this helps!

Jeremy

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.