LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

SherryZ
|
Dec 2000 LSAT, Sec 2 RC, Q20:

I chose the wrong answer D because I refer back to the last paragraph, which mentioned PEAT. In the last 3 sentences of last paragraph, it also mentioned that "high-latitude" habitats such as the tundra are expected to experience the greatest temperature increase". I combined it with the info about PEAT, concluded that "High-latitude place like tundra :arrow: high temperature :arrow: more peats decompose :arrow: peat decomposes more quickly than peat found in regions at lower latitude (because lower latitude's temperature is increase more slowly)".

Could you point out the error I made and explain why D is wrong but A is right??

Thank you very much!! I really appreciate it!

---Sherry
 Lucas Moreau
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello, Sherry,

This question hinges on a very small distinction. So don't worry too much about being confused - this one's tricky. :)

While the passage does say that more peat decomposes in the wet tundra grasslands than does peat decompose in lower altitudes, it doesn't actually say that being in the wet tundra grasslands made the peat decompose faster. It could simply be that a larger total percentage of the peat decomposes in the grasslands than in the lower altitudes.

A is more strongly supported. Billings' research indicated that the increased CO2 - and the warmer temperatures it brought - caused more of the permafrost peat to decompose. Since this suggests that even more permafrost peat would decompose if the temperature were to rise higher, A is the best answer choice.

Hope that helps,
Lucas Moreau
PowerScore
 lsatquestions
|
I agree that A is better supported by the passage, but still had D as a contender. Doesn't this sentence in the last paragraph discuss the rate (rather than quantity) of decomposition: "In a warmer world, increased plant growth, which could absorb CO2 from the atmosphere, would not compensate for this rapid increase in decomposition rates." If so, can you please help explain further why D is incorrect?
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
lsatquestions,

There is no discussion in the passage of peat at different locations decomposing at different rates. There is some peat in wet tundra grasslands that will decompose if the permafrost melts. Peat in any other location isn't discussed at all, so I have no idea what the author would think about peat in other places.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.