LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Kdup
|
Hi Powerscore,

I thought D was the correct answer. Can you explain why D is wrong and E is correct? I thought D was right because of lines 51-55. . I saw no indication of E throughout the passage that the blues was of any psychological benefit to listeners.
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi kdup,

Great question. The discussion of the psychological benefit to its listeners starts at around line 30 with the author's discussion of the audiences' "elation and exaltation" and continuing through to line 38-40 with the discussion of the concept of listeners' "ecstasy" and its effects. That is why Answer (E) is correct.

Lines 51-55 are discussing lyricism which although a part of musical structure, is not all of musical structure. Therefore, the extension of lyricism argument to incude all "musical structure" (such as chord changes, tempo shifts or many other aspects) is an overly broad conclusion making Answer Option (D) incorrect.

Thanks for the great question and I hope this helps! :-D
 dbrowning
|
Hi,

I understand why D is not a great answer in that it over-extends by saying "...is the primary means...". However, answer E also seems like a typical LSAT incorrect answer, as, in my opinion, it requires a significant jump to go from feelings of ecstasy (etc.) to psychological benefit. Being ecstatic over something morbid is not necessarily psychologically beneficial, for instance. Furthermore, the focus of the passage seems to be on the paradoxical nature of the blues, something that does not necessarily coincide with answer E.

Is E correct simply because it uses less absolute language 'may' than D, or did I miss something?

Thanks
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi dbrowning!

Your identification of "primary" as an over-extension in answer choice D is right on target, as well as Nick's excellent observation that "musical structure" in answer choice D sweeps broader than the passage will support (since lyricism is only one aspect of musical structure, and the passage makes no broader assertions about "musical structure" and its effects).

I also agree that the "softer language" in answer choice E (the use of the term "may," indicating mere possibility) contributes to its being preferred. I might push you just a little further on whether the passage is really unclear that the pyschological experiences the blues produce are "benefits." I agree that "ecstasy" is probably not the clearest term to find a true "benefit." But the passage also states the blues "aim at transforming [its] participants’ spirits to elation and exaltation." "Elation" is arguably a clear indicator of benefit, since its common definition is "great happiness and exhilaration." The same can be said for "exaltation," where the common meaning is "a feeling or state of extreme happiness." Since we have that textual support for answer choice E, it is a safe choice.

I hope this helps!

Jeremy

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.