LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Question Line Reference
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=11045)

The correct answer choice is (D)

The justification for the correct answer can be found on:

(all; Viewstamp)

The answer to this main point question can certainly be prephrased (although perhaps with less precision than with a standard main point question). The title should probably mention the natural societal forces that help to bring about democratic reform to authoritarian rule. This is done by answer choice (D), which nicely summarizes the contents of the passage.
 xishao3
|
Hi PowerScore,

For this question, I am not entirely clear on why Answer Choice "A" is incorrect. I was stuck between "A" and "D", but chose "A" because it mentions "change" (focus of paragraphs 2,3,4) and "dissent", which I believed could be inferred from each paragraph - each societal force/change was invoked through dissent with how the authoritarian regime was functioning. May you all help me with understanding how "D" is the better answer?

Many Thanks,
Amy
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
In order for choice (A) to be a fitting title, we would need to be able to see a "case for dissent" from the passage and also defend the idea that this was the main point of the author.

So after reading this passage, are you able to explain why the author thinks people should dissent? Would you say that this is what the author was hoping for the reader to take away? There might be some conclusions we can make about what the author thinks are likely reasons for dissent, but the passage clearly does not focus on making a case for dissent. Rather, it is focused on examining those in power in regimes responding to different types of changes. This is not a call to action for people living under an oppressive regime as choice (A) describes.

Even if you see one past of an answer choice that appeals to you, look at the entire answer choice critically. Since this question asks you to take the information from the passage to prove one of the answers, it may help you to focus more on what is wrong with four answer choices, than it would be to focus on what parts of the answer choices you like. An appealing, partially correct answer is still wrong.
 xishao3
|
Thank you, Francis!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.