LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Kdup
|
Hi Powerscore,

I am having a little trouble with understanding the main idea of this particular text I selected answer choice "A" because it encompassed the author's view point and what the text was actually focused on-- the elimination of the apartheid system" . I'm not quite sure why "D" is the correct answer.
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Answer choice (A) is a good description of the main point of the third paragraph. It does state the author's ideas, but it ignores everything in the first 40 lines in favor of what was written in the last 16. This may be a contender at first, but the main point of the passage as a whole is not simply what was discussed in the final paragraph; we need to at least mention the idea of looking for relevant precedent for guidance, since it was discussed at length in the second paragraph.

Similarly, answer choice (C) merely addresses the main point of the first paragraph, and answer choice (E) only describes ideas in the second paragraph.

Only answer choice (D) mentions ideas that were brought up in all three paragraphs, and it does so correctly. This is the only answer that fully addresses what the author stated, without ignoring any important points of the passage. Watch out for answers that get you only part of the way to "completely and accurately" stating the main point.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.