LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

mshaheen14
|
Hi Powerscore,

Can someone help explain why D is right, I did not feel like the tone of the author was optimistic at all throughout the passage, rather I felt that he seemed to be quite pessimistic.
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Shaheen,

The tone is optimistic at first, and the author cautions about people being too optimistic only later on. The first sentence starts the idea - a bad system has been overthrown. Lines 19-23 give cause for thinking that the changes to South Africa's legal system are good and will have good consequences. Lines 39-43 also indicate the author thinks the new legal environment has substantial promise. And the last sentence of the passage introduces a conditional: "If a rights-based culture is to succeed..." From the context of the entire passage, including the places I already cited, we know the author WANTS a rights-based culture to succeed. The author also thinks it's possible, though not easy, as it faces substantial challenges. So the author thinks the changes are on the right track, but won't lead to success all on their own. I'd say that's guarded optimism.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.