LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is an Advanced Linear: Balanced game.

The game scenario establishes that a naturalist will give lectures on five birds, one after the other. Each lecture is also given in exactly one of two locations: G or H. The order of the lectures (1-5) should be the base, and there should be rows for birds and the locations stacked above the base set:
PT70 -Game_#4_setup_diagram 1.png
With the basic structure in place, let’s examine each rule.

The first two rules are similar, and both are very straightforward. The first rule establishes that the first lecture is in G, and the second rule establishes that the fourth lecture is in H:
PT70 -Game_#4_setup_diagram 2.png
The third rule indicates that exactly three of the lectures are in G, which then means that the other two lectures are in H. Thus, the composition of the locations variable set is established at G G G H H5. We’ll show that fact in the final diagram.

The fourth and fifth rules are both similar, and involve sequences. Because this is an Advanced Linear game, references to birds and locations should be shown as vertical blocks:

Fourth rule:
PT70 -Game_#4_setup_diagram 3.png
Fifth rule:
PT70 -Game_#4_setup_diagram 4.png
These last two rules create several Not Laws, and further inferences. Let’s consider the fourth rule first:
  • Because the first lecture is in G (from the first rule), and the fourth rule establishes that S is given in H, we can infer that S cannot be first. Then, from the sequence in the fourth rule, we can infer that O cannot be first or second (O cannot be second, because S can never be first). Looking at the other end of the diagram, from the fourth rule we can infer that S can never be fifth (because O must always be given later). Thus, from the fourth rule (and from considering the first rule), four Not Laws are produced:
PT70 -Game_#4_setup_diagram 5.png
Now let’s look at the fifth rule.
  • Because T must always be given earlier than P, P can never be first. Conversely, T can never be given fifth, because P must always be given later than T. And, because P is given in G, and the fourth lecture is given in H (from the second rule), P can never be fourth. This adds three more Not Laws to the diagram. Additionally, because the first lecture cannot be S, O, or P, it must be on R or T:
PT70 -Game_#4_setup_diagram 6.png
The second, third, and fourth rules can also be combined. Because there are only two Hs, they are automatically restricted, and bear further examination. Because the fourth lecture is given at H, that means there is only one other H in play in the game. If we can identify when that H appears, then the other three lectures will automatically be given at G. For example, if the other H is second, then the first, third, and fifth lectures must be given at G.

Further, from the fourth rule, we know that the lecture on S is given at H, so if S is not the fourth lecture, then wherever S appears will be the “other” lecture given at H. So, if the second lecture was on S, and thus given at H), then the first, third, and fifth lectures would be given at G.

This relationship is particularly interesting if the other H appears fifth. If the fifth lecture is given at H, then by applying the fourth rule, S must be fourth (because it cannot be fifth) and O must be fifth (because it must be given later than S). This is a fairly deep inference, and having it prior to starting the questions is not necessary. But, what is necessary—and what should be drawn from this discussion—is that the limited number of Hs and the second and fourth rules interact in a way that you should track during the game. Thus, where S and O appear will play an important role in the game.

Let’s show the final setup for the game, and now include the fact that there are only two Hs and three Gs (also, because one of each has been placed, those will be marked out). R is a random, and could be noted as such, but it is also limited by the dual-option produced by the Not Laws on the first lecture, and thus we will leave it unmarked as a random.
PT70 -Game_#4_setup_diagram 7a.png
PT70 -Game_#4_setup_diagram 7b.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 kfactor901@gmail.com
|
Hello,

I was just wondering what would be the most efficient way to set up this game? I did it as a series of templates but I am not sure if there was a better way or not. Thank you!

-K
 Shannon Parker
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

This is a linear game and i would give it a linear setup.

So you have your 5 variables= (OPRST)5 and I would use subscript for the halls g and h.
the rules are g=3, Sh<O, and T<Pg.

Rg/Tg _ _ h _

I don't how to illustrate it here, but be sure to annotate that O, S, and P cannot go in the first spot, and T and S cannot go in the last spot. This can be done through the use of not symbols (the variable letter with a diagonal line through it) under the position.

Hope this helps

~Shannon
 ncolicci11
|
Hi Powerscore!

I have a quick question about the setup for this game. When taking the PT, I mapped out three templates with all possible locations of G and H. Seeing that there is no restriction on how many Gs can be next to each other, I figured such visual was useful. Is this something you would recommend?

Thanks!
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ncolicci,

I've become more and more a fan of templating games where possible, and I'm in the same boat as you here. You know you need two extra G's (in addition to the G in 1), and (even without considering the effect of the other rules) there are only three combinations possible for those other G's. So it's worth sketching them out, both to see if all three combinations actually work and to lock into place anything you can determine definitively in each of those skeletons. Just don't force that latter process too far (in other words, don't make any unwarranted inferences). And give yourself a cutoff point to get into the questions. I wouldn't want to spend much longer than maybe 5 or 6 minutes on that initial process (less, if I'm not getting a lot of definitive inferences out of each template).

Hope this helps!

Jeremy
 Queziam
|
Hi,
Just responding to my friends above. What I did was like a T chart (in out method). I placed G on one side and H on the other. Then implemented the rules, and made inferences as best I could. Like placing three _ _ _ in G , and two _ _ in H. Then I put under one underscore, in G the number 1, and etc. I found this worked for me.
Best, :-D
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Queziam!

I'm glad you found a setup that worked for you! In general, however, you should use Linear setups for Linear games, rather than using an in/out Grouping setup as you describe. It's important to have a linear base in a Linear game so that you can accurately diagram sequencing rules. While you could theoretically have an in/out setup to keep track of whether they're in G or H, this makes it much trickier to deal with the linear aspects of the game. That's why for this game we recommend an Advanced Linear setup. Whenever you have a game that involves putting things into an order, that order should be your base. The other variable sets then get stacked on top of that base (as shown in the full setup explanation above).

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.