LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

jessamynlockard
|
Hi,
I chose D over E because I thought E went too far. What other reasons should I have seen to reject E?
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jessamyn,

Good job picking the right answer between the two Contenders! The keyword in (E) that makes it incorrect is "acceptable." Nowhere in the passage is the idea of an "acceptable substitute" raised. The last sentence does raise a conditional lament--computer conferences could lead to less interactions in towns or neighborhood--but this doesn't necessarily determine whether the conferences are "acceptable substitutes" or not. Instead, in a Main Point question like this, always focus on what the author has said, and what goal they have; (D) lines up very closely with what is said about how computer conferences cannot be described as actual communities.
 crispycrispr
|
Hi, I'm still wondering why (E) is wrong. The end of the first paragraph says that advocates think internet communities can "function as substitutes" for physical communities. The author argues that they still "fall short of"--does that not mean that they can't function as substitutes?
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
crispy,

Line 44 and following show why answer choice (E) is wrong. The author thinks that online communities fall short of traditional communities in part because online communities are self-selecting and lack the diversity of traditional communities. Further, the knowledge required to use computers is not universal, nor are the means to afford access. If these are some of the current problems with online communities, then solving those problems would change the author's negative view. It doesn't make sense for the author to have based his/her objections to online communities on these factors, but still be unwilling to accept them even if these factors are ameliorated. So answer choice (E) is wrong to claim that the author would still find online communities inadequate after the problems are solved.

Robert Carroll
 crispycrispr
|
Robert Carroll wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:19 pm crispy,

Line 44 and following show why answer choice (E) is wrong. The author thinks that online communities fall short of traditional communities in part because online communities are self-selecting and lack the diversity of traditional communities. Further, the knowledge required to use computers is not universal, nor are the means to afford access. If these are some of the current problems with online communities, then solving those problems would change the author's negative view. It doesn't make sense for the author to have based his/her objections to online communities on these factors, but still be unwilling to accept them even if these factors are ameliorated. So answer choice (E) is wrong to claim that the author would still find online communities inadequate after the problems are solved.

Robert Carroll
Ah, I see. That makes sense! Thank you! Looking at the other question I also got wrong in this passage, I now see that me missing the connection between this paragraph & the rest of the passage is the reason. Your explanation helps a lot!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.