LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

sarae
|
I'm a little confused on the interpretation of this phrase "cultural segregation in the arts"
 Ron Gore
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, sarae!

So I can help you better, would you mind replying with how you interpreted the phrase, and why you thought that was the proper interpretation?

Thanks!

Ron
 sarae
|
i thought it was answer choice B or C because I interpreted the phrase as something along the lines of an artist being incapable of seeing the world as a whole due to their different perspectives
 Ron Gore
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks, sarae!

The phrase "cultural segregation in the arts" doesn't so much refer to the inability of the artist to understand a cross-cultural perspective, but rather to not being permitted to express his understanding in his work. From the passage, it appears the theme of Ellison's work was the interplay of individuality and community.

Ellison's critics apparently thought that since he was an African American artist living in a time of social and political conflict, his artistic voice should be that of an African American, rather than that of an individual. If Ellison were required to write from the perspective of an African American living in a particular political and social environment, that requirement would cut him off, or segregate him, from exploring larger issues that affect all people. Answer (E) expresses this expectation that Ellison write as an African American, rather than as a person, and so is correct.

(B) is incorrect, in part, because it refers to aesthetic, rather than cultural, distinctions. (C) is incorrect because the concern wasn't cultural isolation that Ellison felt, but rather the isolation of the cultural box in which his critics sought to place him.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Ron
 sarae
|
thank you!
 fayonio
|
Can someone explain why E is wrong? Thank you.
 evelineliu
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi there,

(E) is the correct answer choice!

Best,
Eveline

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.