LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

oli_oops
|
Hi,

I had A and B as my contenders, though I chose B instead of A (the correct answer) because I re-read the 3rd paragraph and I thought B captures it better. I see that line 33-38 (in 2nd paragraph) supports A (this is on the answer key of RCTT), but how does that connect with the question?
If someone could explain why A is correct that'd be awesome. Thank you!!

oli
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Sure thing, oli! First let's dispense with answer B - it's wrong because it is about what judges must do, and the third paragraph of the passage has nothing to do with judges and everything to do with jurors.

So, why A? The author says that unanimity does a better job of making sure verdicts are fair. To illustrate that, she tells us that eliminating unanimity increases the chance of innocent people being convicted. So, one of the reasons the author favors keeping the unanimity requirement is that it helps reduce the chance of an unjust verdict, the conviction of an innocent person. Unanimity might be a high standard, as discussed earlier in the passage, but the author thinks it's worth it to set the bar that high in order to reduce the chances of that unjust verdict. That's the principle described in answer A!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.