LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Paul Marsh
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (E)

The question asks us to find a sentence that logically completes the last paragraph, given the passage's argument. This directs us to the last sentence of the text. The passage ends fairly abruptly, by listing Abrams's detailed recommendations for the specific structure that sociologists should take to account for structuring (his term for the sociological two-way street between individuals and society). Given that, we would expect a logical completion of the paragraph to be something that ties together the structure recommended by the last sentence and the overall point of the passage regarding structuralism. Before coming down to the answer choices, we want to Pre-Phrase an answer choice. A solid Pre-Phrase would look something like: "This fourfold structure would best allow historical sociologists to describe the bilateral relationship between individuals and society."

With that, we take a look at the answer choices.

Answer Choice (A). (A) does attempt to take the fourfold structure suggested by the passage's end and tie it in with the general point of the rest of the passage. This is a good thing; however, a quick glance at the other answer choices reveal that they all do this, so it's hardy a point in favor of (A). (A) is incorrect as it's too strong ("only if", "with any certainty"), and it misses the main point of the passage by failing to mention the bilateral relationship between society and individuals. (A)t is focused on the relationship working only one way - individuals influencing history - while the passage stresses that the relationship is a two-way street.

Answer Choice (B). (B) completely misstates Abrams's point - Abrams does not think that there is little connection between history and individual agency; the passage is largely spent discussing Abrams's belief about how there is a connection (and that the connection goes both ways).

Answer Choice (C). (C) is too strong. The first paragraph does suggest that Abrams views the structuring as a necessary consideration for the field of historical sociology, but nowhere does the passage suggest that the discipline will otherwise be "treated as little more than an interesting but ultimately indefensible adjunct to history and sociology".

Answer Choice (D). (D) doesn't tie back to the main point of the passage (i.e. the two-way relationship between individuals and society) like we wanted. Instead, it goes off on a point about shedding light on "issues that traditional sociologists have chosen to ignore". The language of "shedding light" and "chosen to ignore" are both a bit strong; there's nothing in the passage that specifically suggests those things.

Answer Choice (E). This is the correct answer choice. It matches our Pre-Phrase pretty well, and ties together the fourfold structure from the end of the passage with the general point of the passage about the two-way relationship between individuals and society.
 Mozart
|
Hello,

I just wanted to ask about D) and E).

Is D) incorrect because the author never discusses issues that traditional sociologists have ignored in the passage?

For E), is the support given on lines 31-32, when the author describes historical structuring as "manifold and unremitting?" The adherence of the fourfold structure would help illustrate these characteristics.

Thank you, and I appreciate your help!
 Paul Marsh
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Mozart! Big fan of your work. Let's walk through this one. Please see the explanation I posted above, and let me know if you have any additional questions! Hope that helps!
 ashpine17
|
I guess I assumed because there was a one-sided approach that appeared to be prominent, that meant the sociologists were ignoring a more comprehensive one? is that too much of an assumption? i'm talking about this in the context of D
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think the problem with answer D is that it's too strong, in that the author never suggests that sociologists are "ignoring" any issues. They just aren't seeing the whole picture because they only use one approach (how people influence society) or another (how society influences people) rather than looking at them together. Also, answer D is not about ignoring Abrams' approach, but about ignoring sociological issues, whatever those might be.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.