LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

hassan66
|
Hi,

I was hoping someone could shed some light on C vs E as I struggled between the two of them. My main concern with E was why would judges being going back to review previous decisions. I just imagined judges sitting in their chambers reading their past decisions and I didn't see why they would need to go out of their way to rectify a faulty decision. I now obviously understand that it is in the context of them reviewing a case that challenges a previous decision.

On review, one of the reasons I thought that C was incorrect was because of "socially inappropriate." I thought that just because something is socially inappropriate, it doesn't tell you whether or not it was a well reasoned argument. But then lines 46-50 seem to suggest that socially inappropriate arguments could be a result of faulty reasoning. Would this still weaken because it could strengthen or weaken? Or is C only wrong because of the word "many," which I did not catch on my own, because the question stem contains the phrase "significant degree" and many is subjective while rarely can objectively be recognized as much stronger language.

It can be hard to catch all these when under a time crunch so I wanted to know what to be on the look out for.

Thank you!
 Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hassan,

You're correct that yielding to popular opinion doesn't mean the popular opinion was smarter, eliminating (C).

The way to pick (E) quickly under pressure is to note that the passage (last paragraph) indicates that judges being willing to abandon past decisions when presented with better arguments is crucial to intellectual authority, and (E) explicitly challenges that judges are willing to do so.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.